Mardave Class

General chat

Re: Mardave Class ?

Postby Simond001 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:25 pm

jackwabbit wrote:
johnnyp wrote:at my first meeting i was still runnin the silver can mardave g2 aswell only differnce was i was harder on gearin then and motor was alot hotter but i didnt want to risk it on sunday and as it was quick enough just didnt even worry also simond's car was very quick down the straights and that was runnin a g2 aswell! think my secret is that im runnin alot less punch and i have a current limiter in my speedo programmes that is designed for modified but as such stops the massive draws gennerated by over exhuberant fingery!

That sound like an expensive speed controller Johnny, adjustments to the punch what’s that? My old Mtroniks Eco 27 Speed Controller £19.99 doesn’t have such luxury.
So its all down to my lead thumb on the left hand then!
:lol:

my 2p.

It may be worth gearing down slightly. This will put less stress on the motor (if it is overheating), and allow it to rev more freely. I went from 16 48 to 15 48, and my G2 was as quick as most of the other cars. I was using a LRP runner speedo (ebay special £12). I have actually changed this for the future to a Mtronics RV11 as they dont switch off when they get hot (another ebay special).

I do clean my motor after every run. Sad i know but it does seem to make a difference. I'll bring a dyno next time if you want me to look at your G2, happy to help if I can.
Part of the WKRCC taking Eastbourne by storm.

Sole supplier of the TCUK / EECC Mtroniks ESC for tamiya Black can and Mardave 540 style motors.

www.pit-bitz.com
Simond001

Car: M05 pro / M03R
Motor: Black can
Speedo: Mtronics EECC.
Cells: 3600 Demons LiPo

Postby thumper » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:36 pm

1. Only the V12 chassis
:o we built our chasis only for circuit and take lipos better and protects them, chasis dont benfit the racing shocked to here that oh well looks like i wont be racing again as i dont have normal chasis for my car i wont be buying one i can understand motor bit but everything else on car exactley same. i mean i know its a different club but when i run same car at sevenoaks mardave club and maritime dont like keep changing things can under stand why bit disapointed seems like rules getting stricted.
Michael Hare
thumper

Car: xray t1fk05, mardave, cyclone,
Motor: co27, lossi brushless,
Speedo: lossi
Cells: lipo

Postby jackwabbit » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:03 pm

When I decided to run my Mardave with a lipo I looked closely at all the options available on how to fit the lipo across the standard chassis & didn’t like the way it looked (it looked very vulnerable)
Bearing in mind lipo’s reputation for fires if damaged I decided to make my own chassis out of GRP so it would offer more protection to the battery using a standard V12 chassis as a template. All the standard V12 parts fit in exactly the same place as they would on the standard chasses (which doesn’t come countersunk).
Someone has already stated that his lipo was damaged on Sunday so surly trying to prevent any possible damage should be encouraged not discouraged.
I’m all for keeping Mardave racing as cheep & simple as possible after all that’s what encouraged me into it. I was getting fed up of constantly throwing money into the 1/10th touring car pit, hopefully what ever you decide won’t end up costing people a lot of money to continue racing & the last thing anyone wants to see is a lipo fire on your track.
jackwabbit

Car: mardave
Motor: 27t stock
Speedo: lrp

Postby Simond001 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:06 pm

thumper wrote:
1. Only the V12 chassis
:o we built our chasis only for circuit and take lipos better and protects them, chasis dont benfit the racing shocked to here that oh well looks like i wont be racing again as i dont have normal chasis for my car i wont be buying one i can understand motor bit but everything else on car exactley same. i mean i know its a different club but when i run same car at sevenoaks mardave club and maritime dont like keep changing things can under stand why bit disapointed seems like rules getting stricted.

Michael,

why not just use the Mardave chassis and kamtec battery box. I think this is what some of the other guys were using who had LiPo's.

I just use the standard Mardave posts and top plate with a velcro strip, but the Battery box is a belt and braces solution.

It's hard to state that a chassis won't benefit the racing as most top saloon stock drivers make a GRP chassis for exactly that purpose. It's lighter, great flexibility and allows the front track to be a bit wider.

the rules are pretty basic, C/S V12 Chassis, Motor, bumper. We dont have to worry about BRCA legal cells, or speedo costs, or connector types. I have to say that is why I posted my car, to make sure i respected the club rules. The worst thing that can happen here is the committee decide this isnt worth the hassle, and ban Mardaves!

I hope that these discussions don't dilute the fact Sunday was a great days racing, and I am looking forward to the next meeting.

Sole supplier of the TCUK / EECC Mtroniks ESC for tamiya Black can and Mardave 540 style motors.

www.pit-bitz.com
Simond001

Postby jackwabbit » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:10 pm

Simond001 wrote:
my 2p.

It may be worth gearing down slightly. This will put less stress on the motor (if it is overheating), and allow it to rev more freely. I went from 16 48 to 15 48, and my G2 was as quick as most of the other cars. I was using a LRP runner speedo (ebay special £12). I have actually changed this for the future to a Mtronics RV11 as they dont switch off when they get hot (another ebay special).

I do clean my motor after every run. Sad i know but it does seem to make a difference. I'll bring a dyno next time if you want me to look at your G2, happy to help if I can.

I am guilty of not cleaning my motor :oops: but I can not gear down any more 10/52 I was running 14/52 when the G2 turned into a smoke machine. :lol:
jackwabbit

Car: mardave
Motor: 27t stock
Speedo: lrp

Postby thumper » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:25 pm

u guys obvious think the normal design safe with lipo sticking out side which ones been damaged alrdy ours much safer and dosent flex because thickest one can get we made sure was thick so didnt break for ovel racing if this case seems like u may loose 2 of 15 racers alrdy my cars is acceptaable at 2 other clubs im unemployed i cant afford to change cars for every club where all evenley matched i see no problems was no complaints on sunday racing was close. the way this going u might as well say make it standard mardaves with silver cans four cells its the way going i dont mean sound like im causing argument but i think taking fun away alrdy i put dif on mine because the tamiya got one which makes fairer but cant under stand fuss when i come last with car that according to u guys should lapped u all and never will happen :lol: i was coming back but if i got use my four cell car again im not
Michael Hare
thumper

Postby Tim Fry » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:32 pm

The only reason we are thinking of simple rules is as Brian says we only originally decided to run Tamiya minis like Eastbourne do and its only the popularity of people wanting to run Mardaves because they are a mini "type" car that we are allowing them. What we dont want is cars being at different speeds around the track as we are running 2 types of car. What people need to understand is that we were totally unaware that there was going to be a big interest in Mardaves and we are trying to make it fair and safe without diluting what we are trying to achieve which is a cheap entry class.
Tim has gone to ............... the Darkside!!!
Tim Fry

Car: You'll have to wait and see
Motor: Vantage 10.5
Speedo: Novak GTB
Cells: Lipo

Postby thumper » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:01 pm

last comment im going make think no ones taking point of safer for lipos bit and racing is same speed with what we got alrdy i dont want it been scrapped but way looks for me and my dad more exspense because standard mardaves not countersunk which one reason made our chasis, been racing them for like 4 meetings else where means we got go out our way buy more silver can motors buy normal chasis as our cars where built from spares of our 4 cell ones we brought grp was easyest way make batterys fit and protect them as we had so many 27t laying around we didnt mind using them as our silver cans caught fire on us we not got any others then our four cell cars way u guys making sound we have to use them and it wont be close but my final opinion if not welcome use our cars with just a silver can if we can get them before next meeting we just dont turn up shame your great club enjoyed racing 10th there but i feel like been bit stricted on this i bit some tamiya minis out there with different bits on :lol: i have noticed at other clubs oh well enjoy racing at next one if we dont turn up u was closer then maritime but going cost us lots again i know i go on now but ill shut up keep forgeting not on commity here :lol:
Michael Hare
thumper

Postby Simond001 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:16 pm

thumper wrote:last comment im going make think no ones taking point of safer for lipos bit and racing is same speed with what we got alrdy i dont want it been scrapped but way looks for me and my dad more exspense because standard mardaves not countersunk which one reason made our chasis, been racing them for like 4 meetings else where means we got go out our way buy more silver can motors buy normal chasis as our cars where built from spares of our 4 cell ones we brought grp was easyest way make batterys fit and protect them as we had so many 27t laying around we didnt mind using them as our silver cans caught fire on us we not got any others then our four cell cars way u guys making sound we have to use them and it wont be close but my final opinion if not welcome use our cars with just a silver can if we can get them before next meeting we just dont turn up shame your great club enjoyed racing 10th there but i feel like been bit stricted on this i bit some tamiya minis out there with different bits on :lol: i have noticed at other clubs oh well enjoy racing at next one if we dont turn up u was closer then maritime but going cost us lots again i know i go on now but ill shut up keep forgeting not on commity here :lol:

post me your old mardave chassis and i'll countersink it for you. No charge.

www.pit-bitz.com
Simond001

Postby Shawn Herrington » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:47 pm

Simond001 wrote:post me your old mardave chassis and i'll countersink it for you. No charge.

you can't be much fairer than that.
Well done Simon and have a gold star :)
Last edited by Shawn Herrington on Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn Herrington

Car: Tamiya M03
Motor: MuchMore Clubman
Speedo: Mtroniks EECC
Cells: Lipo's!

PreviousNext

Return to Public Chat