finals spacing

General chat

finals spacing

Postby walden » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:25 am

Hi all

Just wandering if we can make the spacing a bit bigger for instance 2 metres apart between the cars for the finals to try and stop the piling up on the first and second corner, another idea is put all the cars in 1 line with the 2m spacings?

Just trying suggest ideas to try to prevent the crashing
walden

Car: TC5R Exotek Chassis
Motor: 13.5/17.5
Speedo: Orca VC4 Pro
Cells: LIPO

Re: finals spacing

Postby maxsweep » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:26 pm

I'll back you on that my first time at pole and my car was dead after the first corner, the best place to be seems to be no 4 or 5, were you can hold back and then skip round the initial crash.
maxsweep

Car: TRF 415
Motor: 27 Brushed
Speedo: Viper eco 27
Cells: 2 cell Trakpower lipo

Postby Brian Mills » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:45 pm

I don't see any reason why not. I know Grant reads this, so I'm sure he will say if it would cause a problem.
Brian Mills

Postby THancock » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:54 pm

Something that can also help avoid first corner pile ups is to have the second half of the grid going round a corner. I remember them doing this at Snetterton once when they reversed the circuit and it worked really well. It means the first half of the grid get a chance to get around the first corner before the second half of the grid (who are travelling a lot faster) arrive at it.
THancock

Postby walden » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:10 pm

THancock wrote:Something that can also help avoid first corner pile ups is to have the second half of the grid going round a corner. I remember them doing this at Snetterton once when they reversed the circuit and it worked really well. It means the first half of the grid get a chance to get around the first corner before the second half of the grid (who are travelling a lot faster) arrive at it.

That sounds a good idea never thought of that one, does make sense it gives everyone a chance to get round
walden

Car: TC5R Exotek Chassis
Motor: 13.5/17.5
Speedo: Orca VC4 Pro
Cells: LIPO

Postby Tim Fry » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:46 pm

The only issue I can see is that it may take 2/3 of a lap if your at the back to get to the loop and thats quite a lot.
Tim has gone to ............... the Darkside!!!
Tim Fry

Car: You'll have to wait and see
Motor: Vantage 10.5
Speedo: Novak GTB
Cells: Lipo

Postby dis96 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:51 am

But does it matter how long it takes to get to the loop.

The final starts at the buzzer, not when you cross the loop. With RC Timing the software for finals knows that everyone has started at the same time, and knows what lap they are on. It is even clever enough to know where everyone is if the loop is halfway down the grid, so you could move the grid forward. The race screen looks a bitt funny for the first lap, but then sorts it self out.

i.e. it knows that cars 1 to 5 started in front of the loop therefore when they cross the loop they will have done one lap, and cars 6 to 10 started behind the loop, so when they cross the loop for the first time, they have done nothing, but the second time, they have done lap 1. Clever stuff. It kinda works at Eastbourne. Our TQ position is very close to the loop, sometimes if the first car has the transponder at the front of the car the fact that they cross the line at the start doesn't appear to register and it looks like they didn't start, but after lap 1 it is all corrected.

In short, and the make fun of brian after all my waffle...;)

• It doesn’t really matter where you start on the track for the final
• You could move the grid in front of the loop if needed

But all the above is only of use if i understood the meaning of tim's post?
dis96

Postby Tim Fry » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:18 pm

Darren I was actually refering to the distance betwwen car 1 and car 15 or whatever the last car is. Thats a lot of space to make up. However if it saves a big pile up at corner 1 then I suppose its worth it.
Your explanation was good though as we do sometimes suffer with a place to put the grid.
Tim has gone to ............... the Darkside!!!
Tim Fry

Car: You'll have to wait and see
Motor: Vantage 10.5
Speedo: Novak GTB
Cells: Lipo

Postby dis96 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:07 pm

Ah, I see... that makes sense.

BUT, we do qualification in order to have an advantage over those that we qualified higher than. So the further behind me the other drivers are, the better :lol: :lol:
dis96

Postby dis96 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:09 pm

oh wait, glen has just reminded me of another point of view, in his usual position in qualification he would like everyone in front of him to be closer together... :lol: :lol:
dis96

Next

Return to Public Chat