Tamiya Mini's / M03 & M05 Class.

General chat

Re: Tamiya M03 Class

Postby Shawn Herrington » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:20 pm

27 turn, I remember them. Just don't have any.

Trouble is though there isn't just one type. You can get various versions of standard, hot, hotter and even hotter versions and that's without even playing with them.
The class should stay a spec class and agreed it must stay cheap and cheerful.

The Brushless idea only came up after reading a post on another forum last week and after my concerns about the dirt on the tennis courts I put two and two together for a possible solution.
At the moment it sounds as though I have come up with three to a problem we may not even have; but should we have a problem in time it's necessary to keep it as a spec class, but just with an alternative choice of motor which has no benefit other than improved reliabilty.
If nobody has a problem with me using it next time then I would like to run with it, even if it's out of nothing other than curiosities sake. I won't even want any points for doing so ;)
Shawn Herrington

Car: Tamiya M03
Motor: MuchMore Clubman
Speedo: Mtroniks EECC
Cells: Lipo's!

Postby stuart colby » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:50 pm

for the time being we are staying as we are at eastbourne. we will be wacthing shawns tests and expect a full report lol. as brian has said we also started the class as a cheap way to get into raceing. we have already had a post from a new member in the brushless mini thread on our forum worried that we are going to go brushless and like he said the cost is the issue hes alrwdy brought his kit motor etc and doesnt want to be buying a brushless system aswell defeats the object of the class really.

still the eecc mini world cup we are haveing a oulaw class where anything goes brushless 3.5 mini anyone :lol:
stuart colby

Postby THancock » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:29 am

Didn't Tamiya used to have a rubber boot that would go over the end of the end of the motor to protect the air vents from water?

Or you could probably fashion some sort of sleeve from heatshrink to stop the dust from getting in.
THancock

Postby dis96 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:27 am

or just insulation tape the holes...

this was done a long time ago to increase the performance of a particluar motor that revved higher with the slots covered.

gotta worry about heat though?

Lets think? what are the holes for? air flow in or out?

If it is in, then don't really wanna block the holes, but probably wont hurt if motor still cool.

If it is out, then maybe some sort of dust deflector that sits next to the hole with double sided, and a bit of lexan above and over the hole if you get me...
dis96

Postby justaddmud » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:27 pm

i think that if it went brushless only, it would lose some appeal and probably some drivers

are you talking about running brushless only or brushless / black can ?

i used to run a mini indoors at another club, and used a 27t stock (bought for £10 of a racer) goes like stink and is rebuildable and supply is plentiful

i am not overly amazed with the black cans, considering how hard they are to get and what they cost

i would vote for using 27t stock motors outdoors for the above reasons, and what dave penfold says about them being less prone to dirt damage

Ian (the quickest mardave there last sunday)
justaddmud

Car: Mardave v12 x2 tamiya mini x3
Motor: Silver can, black can 27t stok
Speedo: you name it, i probably haveit
Cells: 7.4 lipo's - 1400 nicad

Postby Shawn Herrington » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:46 pm

justaddmud wrote:are you talking about running brushless only or brushless / black can ?

Black Can or Brushless.
All the info I can find suggests they are the same speed but until we try one we won't know.
Shawn Herrington

Motor: MuchMore Clubman
Speedo: Mtroniks EECC
Cells: Lipo's!

Postby Simond001 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:12 pm

The problem that i see with 27T motors is that (as was suggested earlier) there is such a difference between the performance between the best and the normal. If a single make of 27T was used it may make sense, as this is meant to be a "level playing field" class.

Until we have seen a BL system in action we really can't make any comparrisons or objections.
Part of the WKRCC taking Eastbourne by storm.

Sole supplier of the TCUK / EECC Mtroniks ESC for tamiya Black can and Mardave 540 style motors.

www.pit-bitz.com
Simond001

Car: M05 pro / M03R
Motor: Black can
Speedo: Mtronics EECC.
Cells: 3600 Demons LiPo

Postby Tim Fry » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:56 pm

Simond001 wrote:The problem that i see with 27T motors is that (as was suggested earlier) there is such a difference between the performance between the best and the normal. If a single make of 27T was used it may make sense, as this is meant to be a "level playing field" class.

Until we have seen a BL system in action we really can't make any comparrisons or objections.

It shouldnt make any difference as i would be down to gearing so it would be the gearing that limits the performance not the motor.

Its a good compromise if you ask me
Tim has gone to ............... the Darkside!!!
Tim Fry

Car: You'll have to wait and see
Motor: Vantage 10.5
Speedo: Novak GTB
Cells: Lipo

Postby justaddmud » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:13 am

Simond001 wrote:The problem that i see with 27T motors is that (as was suggested earlier) there is such a difference between the performance between the best and the normal. If a single make of 27T was used it may make sense, as this is meant to be a "level playing field" class.

in a 4wd tourng car or even a good rwd car yes i agree but in a mini, all it does is give you a bit more top end which normally means by the time you can take advantage of it you are at the end of the straight

maybe i will get one of my indoor minis sorted for the next event and compare
justaddmud

Car: Mardave v12 x2 tamiya mini x3
Motor: Silver can, black can 27t stok
Speedo: you name it, i probably haveit
Cells: 7.4 lipo's - 1400 nicad

Postby Dan Hamblin » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:45 pm

I used to run a Reedy MVP in my Mini (when car park bashing) and it gave a noticeable acceleration and top speed advantage compared to a black can.

Regards,

Dan
If at first you don't succeed - destroy all evidence that you tried! :D
Dan Hamblin

Motor: Ansmann 23t
Speedo: Tamiya black thing
Cells: LiPo 3200mAh

PreviousNext

Return to Public Chat