Winter Championship

General chat

Re: Winter Championship

Postby jackwabbit » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:09 pm

Tim Fry wrote:
jackwabbit wrote:No Mardave's during the winter? :(
I was looking forward to running the Mardave again, I found out during the summer rounds the Tamiya Mini's have worked out a lot more expensive to run than the Mardave
& I had no intention of running the Tamiya Mini during the winter.
Oh well, good job Sevenoaks has started Mardave racing again so at least I have somewhere to race the Mardave during the winter. :D
See you all again next summer if the Minis are still running next year.

Why were they more expensive?

During this summer between the 2 of us running the Tamiya Minis we have gone through 4 sets of kit tyres, 3 sets of M grip tyres & 2 sets of S grip tyres, not to mention the wheels to go with them. 6 sets of standard mini front hubs, 4 sets of 3 racing alumininum front hubs & 6 sets of m03m front hubs. 6 Tamiya black can motors. 2 diffs along with driveshafts & output cups. after checking my credit card I can see that I have spent over £300 on parts & that doesn't include 4 of the motors.
compared to the Mardave's these have worked out a lot more expensive to run than expected.
jackwabbit

Car: mardave
Motor: 27t stock
Speedo: lrp
Cells: lipo

Postby Dan Hamblin » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:01 pm

That compares with my spending on the Mini's this summer - 4 pairs of tyres, pair of new dogbones and two replacement outdrives for the diff (the latter two items were 'nice to have's', in case I converted to LiPo).

Regards,

Dan
If at first you don't succeed - destroy all evidence that you tried! :D
Dan Hamblin

Car: Tamiya M03
Motor: Ansmann 23t
Speedo: Tamiya black thing
Cells: LiPo 3200mAh

Postby Tim Fry » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:25 pm

Maybe less crashing is in order :lol:

On a serious note I only spent money on 1 set of tyres for my tourer all season although Rio gave me 1 wheel as 1 tyre went through to the rim.
Plus just general maintenance on the diffs no parts replaced.
Tim has gone to ............... the Darkside!!!
Tim Fry

Car: You'll have to wait and see
Motor: Vantage 10.5
Speedo: Novak GTB
Cells: Lipo

Postby daveygravy » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:35 am

Tim Fry wrote:On a serious note I only spent money on 1 set of tyres for my tourer all season although Rio gave me 1 wheel as 1 tyre went through to the rim.
Plus just general maintenance on the diffs no parts replaced.

and I spent less than that - still using tyres that are years old and no parts bought at all.
daveygravy

Full Name: David Mills
Car: 12R5.1
Motor: Reedy
Speedo: Hobbywing
Cells: Nosram

Postby Simon Taylor » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:43 am

I didn't spend too much either still had tyres from last year and only broke my car twice which is good for me as i do like a crash or 2 :lol: Been a good season on the wallet see you all on the carpet
I'm not an Alcoholic. I'm a Drunk, Alcoholics go to meetings
Simon Taylor

Car: Cyclone/Gen X10
Motor: Novak 13.5/ EA 17.5
Speedo: Tekin Rs Pro/ LRP Sphere
Cells: Trakpower 4900

Postby Shawn Herrington » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:10 pm

jackwabbit wrote:During this summer between the 2 of us running the Tamiya Minis we have gone through 4 sets of kit tyres, 3 sets of M grip tyres & 2 sets of S grip tyres, not to mention the wheels to go with them. 6 sets of standard mini front hubs, 4 sets of 3 racing alumininum front hubs & 6 sets of m03m front hubs. 6 Tamiya black can motors. 2 diffs along with driveshafts & output cups. after checking my credit card I can see that I have spent over £300 on parts & that doesn't include 4 of the motors.
compared to the Mardave's these have worked out a lot more expensive to run than expected.

Blimey and I thought I spent loads... on 3 cars.

Hubs. From experience the 3Racing hubs are made from a very soft alloy compared to the genuine Tamiya part.
I don't like the plastic kit items anyway - they just bend or snap at the first sniff of an accident.
Use part number 54177 and you will never need to buy another. (yes thay are listed as M05 but are the same)

Drive cups. Use the hardened hopup version 53218

Driveshafts. Use UJ Set 53597. Not a necessity but they are much gentler on the drive cups but keep an eye on the pin. They do work loose though if you don't locktight the grub screw.

Diff. Agreed the gears are a little fragile and we have found if you hit things they are the softest part in the drivetrain that's comes to a sudden stop. Hence Kian get's through more than Rhys and myself...

Heat is a major factor on the gearboxes and motors and you should really use a heatsink as well. 53344 keeps thing cooler. Not neccesarily the motor but certainly the gearbox casing.

Tyres. M-Grips wheel spin more than S-Grips and as a result do wear out quicker.

Wheels. Tamiya rims are expensive and that's why I use a 3Racing version. Pack of 8 rims cost about £3.
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-mchassis-3racing-dual-spoke-chassis-wh08wi-p-23173.html

All that lot including a set of tyres, shipped from Hong Kong will work out at about £68.42. Appologies if it's a few pennies out because it's off the top of my head and not the fact I have sat here typed it all in and converted from USD to GBP for you.

;) :lol:
Shawn Herrington

Car: Tamiya M03
Motor: MuchMore Clubman
Speedo: Mtroniks EECC
Cells: Lipo's!

Postby administrator » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:01 pm

Booking in is now open.
administrator
Site Admin

Postby Simon Taylor » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:35 pm

Booked in :D
I'm not an Alcoholic. I'm a Drunk, Alcoholics go to meetings
Simon Taylor

Car: Cyclone/Gen X10
Motor: Novak 13.5/ EA 17.5
Speedo: Tekin Rs Pro/ LRP Sphere
Cells: Trakpower 4900

Postby walden » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:15 pm

booked in for 9 rounds :D via paypal
walden

Car: TC5R Exotek Chassis
Motor: 13.5/17.5
Speedo: Orca VC4 Pro
Cells: LIPO

Postby Brian Mills » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:09 pm

That's some achievment for a guy who left his car behind. (Sorry Paul)!!
Brian Mills

PreviousNext

Return to Public Chat