WGT Suggestions

General chat

WGT Suggestions

Postby Amraam67 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:14 pm

Whilst very much enjoying the WGT racing at WKRCC, there are a couple of suggestions that I believe could make life a little easier for the drivers competing in this class. I think these suggestions represent the majority of drivers views racing WGT. I'm sure they'll correct me if they don't :D

Both of the issues revolve around the nature of the cars/tyres being used. The GT's are very low and light making them far more susceptible to bumps in the track. This is a particular problem as the GT's are scheduled first in practice/heats/finals. As we know when the track is first laid, it is very cold and stiff and takes a little time and a few runs to acclimatise and settle down. This makes the GT's particularly unsuitable to race first as they buck and bounce all over the place (pulling up tape in the process). Could you not schedule the WGT's last not first?

Another problem is the lack of a practise lap for these cars, whilst we obviously don't want cars running around when track repairs are being affected, with the wide foam tyres, no matter how hard you try it is not possible to remove all the additive prior to a run. A controlled formation lap brings the grip of the tyres up safely and avoids cars reaching the first corners at racing speeds without grip. Another reason for a formation lap (this applies to all) is to sort out any changes made to the car during the event. We had one GT competitor have to repair a steering servo and he was trying to trim it straight during the heat!

Could we not give some consideration to some form of controlled formation lap, if only for the GT's?

As I've said these are only suggestions, I'm only a visitor to the club, I'm not trying to tell you how to run it.
AKA David Piper
Amraam67

Car: GT & Mini
Motor: 10.5 BL
Speedo: Tekin RS
Cells: 1s 3.7v

Re: WGT Suggestions

Postby Shawn Herrington » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:43 pm

+1 vote.

I agree with the formation lap David, even if as you say it's to do a trim check. I suffered quite badly with steering issues all day today and only really got on top of them for the finals; by which time the damage was done by only qualifying P4.
... hence the acrobatics during the heats at the chicane :oops:

Also for us FWD Mini drivers the rears have no time to get any heat into them when going straight to the line.

There is plenty of time for the lap as we all stand on the benches for a minute or two anyway waiting for Worzel in the corner to put his thinking head on. :)
Shawn Herrington

Car: Tamiya M03
Motor: MuchMore Clubman
Speedo: Mtroniks EECC
Cells: Lipo's!

Postby Brian Mills » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:05 pm

I don't see any problem at all in running the practice (and therefore the heats) in a different order.

The rules (which all drivers have agreed to) states clearly that practice laps are not permitted. This is because people are on the track going to their marshall positions or possibly the tape is being repaired. However, you can place your car on the track AT THE ROSTRUM and drive to the start in the direction of racing. I agree that today because we were running clockwise that amounted to about 8 feet! I don't have a problem with a SINGLE warm up (or formation) lap but of course some would make that 2 or 3 warm up laps and then a formation lap....

Also the standard of marshalling (and some driving!) left something to be desired. More than once we asked marshalls to put on their tabbards with only limited success. There is no good reason for drivers to go back to the pits after racing.

Ride height and weight infringements were the order of the day. Ian and I have decided that the penalties will be applied in future in line with those published in the "scrutineering" section of the rules.

Finally I had to remind 2 drivers (despite the notice) that the carpet is NOT a wipe off area!

I'd suggest that as Ian will be race director at the next meeting, he can add his thoughts here (if he reads it) as to the viability of changing the race order and trying out a formation lap for GT's but I don't see any issue with the first idea at all.
Brian Mills

Postby discokev » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:10 pm

just a suggestion.. for the next round lets do a drivers briefing after practice and just before the heats begin, that way any new faces can be welcomed and old hands can be reminded of what is expected of them. order of the day can be announced and any questions can be raised. this only takes a few minutes and is a perfect way to get the day going. I've done them before and totally don't mind stepping up, pass me the mic and i might treat you to some karaoke too... :D
just a suggestion that may clear up all the little things
discokev

Car: Team Magic E4RS
Motor: TEKIN REDLINE
Speedo: TEKIN RS PRO
Cells: INTEGY IP5000

Postby Brian Mills » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:25 am

Hi Kev,
We did used to do a briefing at irregular intervals, but I think you are right in that it doesn't hurt to go over the important points again about what is expected of drivers/marshalls. Our problem is that we need to be out of the hall by 2.00pm. A couple of meetings ago we met the next hirers coming in as we were leaving so time is at a premium. We did run 2 leg finals at this meeting but that put us right on the time limit.
I have to say that if more people helped to clear away then that would cut "break down" time and might even allow 2 leg finals more often or make space for another class as well as time for a drivers briefing. As I've said on another thread, if marshalls were at their post more promptly that would also help time wise as well as preserve Ian's blood pressure!
Brian Mills

Postby Tim Fry » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:44 pm

Totally agree on the briefing. I would also say we are losing time repairing the track due to the cold weather. Not sure what we can do about that though as the carpet expands as it warms up during the morning.
Tim has gone to ............... the Darkside!!!
Tim Fry

Car: You'll have to wait and see
Motor: Vantage 10.5
Speedo: Novak GTB
Cells: Lipo

Postby Amraam67 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:31 pm

Brian Mills wrote:I'd suggest that as Ian will be race director at the next meeting, he can add his thoughts here (if he reads it) as to the viability of changing the race order and trying out a formation lap for GT's but I don't see any issue with the first idea at all.

Brian, thanks for your comments. I'm sure with a little understanding we can all get the most out of the meeting and maximise our enjoyment of the event.

With regards to the other issues you've raised, I think a short drivers briefing would go a long way to addressing these problems. Whilst everyone should have read the rules, I suspect that a few haven't or have possibly forgotten.
AKA David Piper
Amraam67

Car: GT & Mini
Motor: 10.5 BL
Speedo: Tekin RS
Cells: 1s 3.7v

Return to Public Chat