Brushless TC Speeds

General chat

Brushless TC Speeds

Postby chris_dono » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:55 am

I know there's been a lot of talk about this over the past few months on various forums and around the pits too.

Who would be interested in making the 'up to 10.5' motor limit something a LOT more managable for people that race ?

Having run it a few times now, I think 17.5 is still too fast for Sidcup's track, but am aware that people tend to race at other local clubs (sidcup, west kent, maritime, sevenoaks) so are wary of buying more than one motor to race with !

'No timing' is not an option for this thread, please keep comments related to motors only, assume dynamic timing speedos are in play.

What do you think is a sensible motor wind limit for the MAJORITY of people to race with at our local tracks ?
chris_dono

Car: Serpent - CRV
Motor: Any
Speedo: Hobbywing
Cells: Lipo, Lipo and Lipo

Re: Brushless TC Speeds

Postby Tim Fry » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:36 pm

Chris

My opinion is we still need 13.5 at West Kent for those who can drive but feel 21.5 is the way to go for a stock type class. We already allow 17.5 but I feel its too close to 13.5 for someone to take the plunge and run it.
Tim has gone to ............... the Darkside!!!
Tim Fry

Car: You'll have to wait and see
Motor: Vantage 10.5
Speedo: Novak GTB
Cells: Lipo

Postby chris_dono » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:11 pm

We ran a 21.5 at Sidcup and it was still able to keep up, but with much higher temps than the 17.5 on a similar speedo setting.. The issue we had was around gearing.. had to be in the 3's almost (definitely at west kent as it's a bigger track)
chris_dono

Postby THancock » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:45 am

The track sizes at West Kent and Eastbourne are perfect for 13.5 with boosting speedos when driven by intermediate and expert drivers.

Beginners will always struggle to drive a car, regardless of the speed they are travelling at. Where beginners benefit with reduced speed is the lower repair bills when the inevitable crash happens.

Sidcup's track is probably perfect for non-boosted 17.5 (in the right hands) as there isn't enough space for anything quicker to properly spool up unless you go to ratios in the high 8s and 9s.

It has to be said that West Kent have the best indoor tracks that I have raced on - better than Maritime (too tight on space), Rug Racers (improving), Eversley (bot dots) and Carpet Wars (bot dots) - mainly because each layout has plenty of width, flows nicely and doesn't have sharp, angular corners that either stop you dead or bounce you out into oncoming traffic.

Personally, the only track I can think of that would be big enough for a boosted 10.5 would be the upcoming Big Meet at West Kent.
THancock

Postby chris_dono » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:09 pm

non-boosted is a non starter, if you want further details as to why, I'll chat to you in person
chris_dono

Postby THancock » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:05 pm

Yeah, it's pretty much a given that no-one would want to spend money on non-boosted speedos and getting the gear ratios down to the 3's and 4's will be a real pain. It was more of a statement towards Sidcup having a small track space with narrow lanes which is better suited to less punchy speedo settings and a lower top end speed, more like 27t was back in its day.
THancock

Return to Public Chat