Mini Question

General chat

Mini Question

Postby Bosscat » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:58 am

Hi Guys
Just stripped the mini down to investigate no drive to find that the spur gear has no teeth at all this time last time it just lost a few though the end result is the same. The shaft is ok and the bearings seem fine had expected to see them badly worn or maybe seized. I will replace the spur gear but at this rate I will have the worlds supply of diff and intermediate gears in my pit box as you have to buy the whole lot each time. Pinion has also been replaced with an RW .6 module unit
Any ideas what may be causing this to happen??
Bosscat

Car: Zen Racing
Motor: Thunder 10.5
Speedo: Hobbywing
Cells: 1s Lipo

Re: Mini Question

Postby Richard Hathaway » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:56 pm

Don't know what pinion you had in before, if it was the standard Tamiya pinion the teeth wear into hooks which tear-up the spur gear teeth. My experience with the RW pinion lasted one race before I had to replace the spur gear again! I think that the problem may be that there are two standards of gear tooth shape both of which are called .6 module* and probably Tamiya use one tooth shape and RW us the other! I would use the Tamiya hardened pinion 53509.

* I think the .6 module is a way of expressing the size/pitch of the tooth in relation to the gear diameter, not the shape of the tooth - but a mechanical engineer (Dan?) would give you the correct explanation.
Richard Hathaway

Postby Dan Hamblin » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:26 pm

Richard is right - the RW pinion although described as .6 module is, I think, an Imperial based system referred to as the English Module. The Tamiya gears should be metric based and therefore the numbers won't match up.

Module is the pitch diameter in millimetres divided by the number of teeth.

Regards,

Dan
If at first you don't succeed - destroy all evidence that you tried! :D
Dan Hamblin

Car: Tamiya M03
Motor: Ansmann 23t
Speedo: Tamiya black thing
Cells: LiPo 3200mAh

Postby Shawn Herrington » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:33 pm

Thanks Dan, you've just given me a head ache trying to understand that :lol:

Try the Tamiya hardened pinion Richard suggested Keith. We have used them for some time now with no wear issues.
Have you considered it could the the spur gear itself causing you problem.
From experience two teeth tend to either bend or snap off completely, and on asking if anyone else was having the problem on RCTech I was told quite plainly to stop hitting things, or at least lift off before hitting anything :roll:
Two teeth on the spur take the hit on impact and then can lead to further damage/wear on the intermediate gear.

Also when ever I replace gears now I always change both anyway. Half a new set isn't ant use and you can't always spot a twisted tooth; so by doing both you can't go wrong.
Tamiya have recently released a reinforced gear set now, so must be aware of the problem.
See here: http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=54277
Shawn Herrington

Car: Tamiya M03
Motor: MuchMore Clubman
Speedo: Mtroniks EECC
Cells: Lipo's!

Postby Bosscat » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:37 am

Thanks Guys for the Help. Off now to find a supply of tamiya hardened pinions for friday!!
Bosscat

Postby Simond001 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:57 am

Guys can I squash the rumour.

Tamiya is .6 module
RW for Tamiya is .6 module

Richard, i think you got unlucky as we've sold about 30 of the RW pinions without any other issues with mesh.

Bosscat. I'm confident enough to send you a pinion for Friday and return it if you dont think it's up to Tamiya quality.

Simond
Part of the WKRCC taking Eastbourne by storm.

Sole supplier of the TCUK / EECC Mtroniks ESC for tamiya Black can and Mardave 540 style motors.

www.pit-bitz.com
Simond001

Car: M05 pro / M03R
Motor: Black can
Speedo: Mtronics EECC.
Cells: 3600 Demons LiPo

Postby Richard Hathaway » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:03 am

No Simon you can't squash the rumour - engineering fact is engineering fact!
Richard Hathaway

Postby Bosscat » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:45 pm

Simond
Thats a very kind offer I'll take you up on that if I may I have your work email so we forward my address to you via that route if that is OK.
Will you guys be stocking the revised gear set that Shaun refers to in his post?

Keith
Bosscat

Postby Simond001 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:53 pm

Keith, pinion is already en route.

Richard.

I have also spoken to RW. RW started making pinions 24 years ago for the Tamiya cars and have made .6 module from day one. .6 module is the metric measurement (DP would be the equivalent to inches) and does not change regardless of where the sun sets. He has made approximately 40 thousand .6 module pinions and this is the first time he has been advised it is the wrong mesh.

The pinions are cut. When installed into a tamiya M03/5 they are meshing against a moulded plastic gear. I am not an engineer but I appreciate that a new cut gear will be more accurate than a used moulded gear.

Neil has advised that it may be the spur gear would not have clean cut edges and therefore would not have a clean mesh. It should also be noted that in any hard stop the metal gear is stronger than the plastic spur gear.

Please do not confuse your single bad experience with engineering fact.

As the old saying goes, One swallow does not make a summer.
Part of the WKRCC taking Eastbourne by storm.

Sole supplier of the TCUK / EECC Mtroniks ESC for tamiya Black can and Mardave 540 style motors.

www.pit-bitz.com
Simond001

Car: M05 pro / M03R
Motor: Black can
Speedo: Mtronics EECC.
Cells: 3600 Demons LiPo

Postby Richard Hathaway » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:57 pm

Simon, I don't like using a public forum for discussions like this. But if my post is read carefully I did say that it was an opinion that there may be a mesh problem between RW and Tamiya and further raised the issue that there are two tooth forms in use with .6 module gears. If RW say they haven't had a problem then fine, but it doesn't get round my experience with RW nor does negate the situation of two tooth forms being in existence.
Richard Hathaway

Next

Return to Public Chat