Mini Question

General chat

Re: Mini Question

Postby Dan Hamblin » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:29 pm

An easy test would be to photograph an RW 0.6 module pinion in mesh with the Tamiya gear. Or even an RW pinion head on with the Tamiya one. The teeth should match exactly :)

Regards,

Dan
If at first you don't succeed - destroy all evidence that you tried! :D
Dan Hamblin

Car: Tamiya M03
Motor: Ansmann 23t
Speedo: Tamiya black thing
Cells: LiPo 3200mAh

Postby Richard Hathaway » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:12 pm

This thread seems to have moved on a bit from Keith's original question. But to answer your point Dan, I agree that a photo would show any differences provided; it was taken truly perpendicular to the end face of the pinion and that it was capable of being enlarged as the difference in the tooth forms would appear to be small (to the naked eye but not in gear mesh terms) - but the taking of any photos is unlikely to happen.
Richard Hathaway

Postby Richard Hathaway » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:03 pm

A bit more on this thread (but an important bit more). My original response to Keith about the use of an RW pinion was based entirely on my experience when using an RW pinion and should not be taken as being typical - this is evident from Simon's response on the number of RW pinions he has sold. So I guess the more appropriate answer to Keith's original question is if you want to use an RW - then why not?

As for the issue of tooth forms; this is a fact and may be something for a more esoteric converstaion elsewhere, but shouldn't be taken as inferring RW aren't using the correct tooth form.
Richard Hathaway

Postby Simond001 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:28 pm

I am becoming a bit of a pitch geek now and have certainly learn't quite a lot over the last 36 hours.

Good news, my black spur gears have arrived with the new higher glass content. They have a lot less flex than the standard kit ones.

Will this mean that the gears are more brittle in the event of a hard stop and break instead of turning teeth?

poi, there are flashings that need cleaning from the two idler gears to prevent the gear rubbing the chassis :(

Let the new debate begin :)
Part of the WKRCC taking Eastbourne by storm.

Sole supplier of the TCUK / EECC Mtroniks ESC for tamiya Black can and Mardave 540 style motors.

www.pit-bitz.com
Simond001

Car: M05 pro / M03R
Motor: Black can
Speedo: Mtronics EECC.
Cells: 3600 Demons LiPo

Postby dis96 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:10 pm

what the debate about you not using a tamiya std gear set ? LOLOL
dis96

Postby Simond001 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:35 pm

Is the black gear set classed as a std part (as in the kit for M06) or a hop up?

Sole supplier of the TCUK / EECC Mtroniks ESC for tamiya Black can and Mardave 540 style motors.

www.pit-bitz.com
Simond001

Postby Shawn Herrington » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:51 pm

I know all the M chassis cars use the same basic design of gears, but Tamiya beefed them up for use in the M06.

So to summarise, it's standard for the M06 and they just happen to fit in all the others :D
Shawn Herrington

Car: Tamiya M03
Motor: MuchMore Clubman
Speedo: Mtroniks EECC
Cells: Lipo's!

Postby Bosscat » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:00 pm

To add a little more then Simonds pinion arrived today, now that gentlemen is what you call service!!! Cheers most welcome. However being the old cynic that I am and not trusting the postal service I had a back up arrive in the form of a new Tamiya 20t pinion so sat here at my desk cum workbench I have been comparing old RW with new RW and new Tamiya. They are to the naked eye and under a strong magnifier identical. However if you mesh the two RW units together they run very smoothly but if I run either RW against the Tamiya the mesh is not so good it is there but every so often it catches.
To my untrained engineers eye then there is therfore a very very small difference possibly in the tooth form whether or not it is sufficient to make a differnce in running and wear I cannot say but I will try the Tamiya one first I think.
I am not saying here for one minute that the RW is wrong or even that the tamiya is right just that there is a difference
it may be that a new RW pinion with a new spur will run in together well but perhaps a new RW run on a spur that has had a tamiya pinion on it will fail earlier, without exhaustive testing we wont know.
What is certain is that we have had a good debate with views on both sides exchanged which is after all part of what the forum is all about so thanks for taking part all of you and especially Simond for mounting a rescue when it seemed all was lost and I was doomed to another Friday without racing. You Sir are a gent and a scholar and I owe you £3.75 plus the post and packing!! :D

Keith
Bosscat

Car: Zen Racing
Motor: Thunder 10.5
Speedo: Hobbywing
Cells: 1s Lipo

Postby THancock » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:03 am

Bosscat wrote:You Sir are a gent and a scholar and I owe you £3.75 plus the post and packing!! :D
Keith

I wouldn't cough up just yet. You never know, when you stick the pinion in the gearbox, Simond may just owe you for a replacement gear set ;)
THancock

Postby Simond001 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:31 am

THancock wrote:
Bosscat wrote:You Sir are a gent and a scholar and I owe you £3.75 plus the post and packing!! :D
Keith

I wouldn't cough up just yet. You never know, when you stick the pinion in the gearbox, Simond may just owe you for a replacement gear set ;)

:D at least he knows i'll post out it quickly.

www.pit-bitz.com
Simond001

PreviousNext

Return to Public Chat