Hobbywing EZrun 13T Tam mini

General chat

Hobbywing EZrun 13T Tam mini

Postby BODYMOT » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:18 am

Want to ask west kent and other mini drivers if it would be OK for me to run Hobbywing EZrun 13T sensorless system at race meet 8th may, to see if speed is the same as a brush setup. Not score any points in championship, because I will not be racing for points will move out the way of other drivers so not spoil there race.
This system should be slower than the one Simond (12T) tried at last meet.
Hoping to do test runs against another M05 at practise runs at maritime also.
Hobbywing EZrun 35a sensorless 13T system looks well made
Motor has label on the end 13T/3000KV and 13T etched on motor can,
So easy to police.
It comes with program box, but because it is sensorless esc and motor should not be able to do software timing ramping like we see in Touring cars, (well I hope not)

The last thing I want is for this system to be any faster than Muchmore, Ansmann brush motors. More people are racing Tamiya minis in the UK, because its fun.
Don’t knock it before you’ve tried it.
Member of
T.M.F.F.R (Tamiya Mini Fun Fair Racing) ;)

Ben :D
Member of T.M.F.F.R
You know when your getting old when can’t remember how old you are
And you can’t read this without squinting
BODYMOT

Car: Tamiya M05 and blue bits,
Motor: Hobbywing + Ansmann 21T
Speedo: Hobbywing + fusion podium 12T
Cells: lipo

Re: Hobbywing EZrun 13T Tam mini

Postby Brian Mills » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:15 pm

Hi Ben,
Can't see a problem with running it for comparison and evaluation, especially as you won't take any points.
Perhaps if Mini drivers disagree they could post their thoughts here.
Regards
Brian
Brian Mills

Postby Dan Hamblin » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:10 pm

No problem with it here. We need data to see whether it is feasible to run brushed and brushless together.

Regards,

Dan
If at first you don't succeed - destroy all evidence that you tried! :D
Dan Hamblin

Car: Tamiya M03
Motor: Ansmann 23t
Speedo: Tamiya black thing
Cells: LiPo 3200mAh

Postby Shawn Herrington » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:42 pm

Already tried it at Eastbourne.
Top end is identical to a Black Can but I needed to turn the punch down to 3 (out of 8) to stop the long black number 11's appearing on the tarmac :D

Chief test driver Colby will be having a go with it this week.
Shawn Herrington

Motor: MuchMore Clubman
Speedo: Mtroniks EECC
Cells: Lipo's!

Postby crazybrit123 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:07 pm

Hi,
Is there any news on the above being able to be used in the Summer Champs?
Also what is the cost of the combo?
Cheers Andy.
crazybrit123

Postby BODYMOT » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi Andy, at the moment brushless is not allowed. In Australia they run Hobbywing 13T systems against Tamiya black can brush motors, some have been using the same Hobbywing system and motor for over two years. The Tam black can I think is slower than Ansmann 21T and Muchmore clubmans motors. The Hobbywing I got, Speedo 35A, 13T motor and program box was under £50 with post from HK. Did take a long time in delivery. Pit bitz I hope will start selling them in UK if they are allowed. Buying from UK will cost a bit more, but just makes it easier if it goes wrong sending it back.
Ben :D
Member of T.M.F.F.R
You know when your getting old when can’t remember how old you are
And you can’t read this without squinting
BODYMOT

Car: Tamiya M05 and blue bits,
Motor: Hobbywing + Ansmann 21T
Speedo: Hobbywing + fusion podium 12T
Cells: lipo

Postby Shawn Herrington » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:33 pm

We've tried some racing at Eastbourne with a car fitted with the 3000kv Hobbywing and it was exactlay the same speed down the straight as a Muchmore.
Wheelspin however was an issue throught he turns, which with a bit of tuning with either transmitter or esc settings we shall overcome the problem.

Overall though it's very promising.
Shawn Herrington

Postby crazybrit123 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:17 pm

With the up and coming AGM, People wanting to use these systems, Testing proving that they are similar to the Anssmann and Black can and the start of a new series, surly now would be the time to change?
I have tried to get the Hobbywing EZrun system here and it looks like it will be around £75 for the Combo.....Hummmmm.........
I still need to do lots of mods to my mini but don't want to get motors ect for it to be changed in the middle of the summer champs. West Kent could be a leader if they move quickly.
Remember, I'm not a Mini driver, YET, and don't want to "ROCK THE BOAT", for all of you who quite clearly love the close racing that you have at the moment But if you all think it's the right Combo then lets get it done.
crazybrit123

Postby Dan Hamblin » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:45 pm

If the motor is on the same performance level as the Tamiya Black Can, Clubman et al, surely it doesn't matter when the change is made? It should not provide a performance advantage over a brushed motor, only a maintenance and long term cost saving.

Regards,

Dan
If at first you don't succeed - destroy all evidence that you tried! :D
Dan Hamblin

Motor: Ansmann 23t
Speedo: Tamiya black thing
Cells: LiPo 3200mAh

Postby Shawn Herrington » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:05 pm

We won't be with you in the summer and I would like to say it's to give someone else a chance, but you know me :D.
I'm actually locked away indoors all week so like to be outside in the sun when it's shining.

Tried the brushless again at Eastbourne tonight and decided to fiddle with the drag brake this time. Going from zero to 5% makes the car drive much more like a brushed version, but 10% is too much with the back stepping out at every half chance.

Everything else is turned way down from the default settings still as there is quite alot of torque to deal with.
I had one run which was just over 20 minutes long and the motor was barely warm afterwards but I must say my brushed car is still easier to drive at speed at the moment, but we shall get there...

On carpet you shouldn't have half the niggles I'm having to get round on tarmac.
Shawn Herrington

Next

Return to Public Chat