Extra Class for the Winter Series

General chat

Re: Extra Class for the Winter Series

Postby Glen Relf » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:17 pm

Shawn

I run the Civic shell really nice but a little tight on the width it does tend to rub on the rear tyres.
Glen Relf

Car: TC5
Motor: LRP
Speedo: LRP
Cells: Trackpower

Postby Simon Taylor » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:02 pm

Shawn i've managed to fettle mine so i can get trakpower 4900's in. Just need one of them tamiya speedo's :x Anyone got one knocking about that they don't want?
I'm not an Alcoholic. I'm a Drunk, Alcoholics go to meetings
Simon Taylor

Car: Cyclone/Gen X10
Motor: Novak 13.5/ EA 17.5
Speedo: Tekin Rs Pro/ LRP Sphere
Cells: Trakpower 4900

Postby Shawn Herrington » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:16 pm

Glen Relf wrote:Shawn

I run the Civic shell really nice but a little tight on the width it does tend to rub on the rear tyres.

Thanks for the warning Glen.
The Civic shell looks a little more racey than the Suzuki version - and it's cheaper too.

Must say though, the M03R chassis is very BLUE !!!!!! :D

Did you attack it with a Dremmel Si? I don't want to spoil mine and have ask a friend if he has any old 3200's he might not want any more.
Otherwise it will have to be a case of un-earthing my Spintec to bring some Tamiya 1400 race packs back to life.
Shawn Herrington

Car: Tamiya M03
Motor: MuchMore Clubman
Speedo: Mtroniks EECC
Cells: Lipo's!

Postby Simon Taylor » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:22 pm

Yes Shawn got the flies out and opened it up a bit now trakpower 4900's fit nice and snug, didn't have to take too much off. Should get 2 runs out of one pack.
I'm not an Alcoholic. I'm a Drunk, Alcoholics go to meetings
Simon Taylor

Car: Cyclone/Gen X10
Motor: Novak 13.5/ EA 17.5
Speedo: Tekin Rs Pro/ LRP Sphere
Cells: Trakpower 4900

Postby Dan Hamblin » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:38 pm

Simon Taylor wrote:Yes Shawn got the flies out and opened it up a bit now trakpower 4900's fit nice and snug, didn't have to take too much off. Should get 2 runs out of one pack.

You've trained flies to work on your car?! :o :lol:

I think with a 4900 battery you will be able to do the whole meeting without discharging.

Oh, and I think we should be enforcing the LiPo cut-off switch rule, they aren't exactly expensive.

Regards,

Dan
If at first you don't succeed - destroy all evidence that you tried! :D
Dan Hamblin

Motor: Ansmann 23t
Speedo: Tamiya black thing
Cells: LiPo 3200mAh

Postby Richard Hathaway » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:52 pm

The idea of having a cut-out is to prevent the battery being discharged to the point where cell imbalance becomes an issue for the next charge cycle, possibly leading to unwanted nastiness happening to the battery. With the higher current draw of the motors used in TCs this is more likely to happen than in a Mini which will only take 1000 - 1400mAH from the battery per race (unless of course someone tries to run 3 heats and a final without re-charging the battery). So I think that provided a LIPO is re-charged in a protective container/bag and anyone running a Mini is careful of their charging routine then a cut-out isn't necessary for the Minis. (But still necessary for the TCs because of the higher current draw.) There is also the problem of connecting a cut-out to a Tamiya ESC. The BEC is contained in the ON/OFF switch which therefore must be connected to the BATT socket on the ESC - so where do you plug the cut-out into? The only way the connection can be made is to cut into the ON/OFF switch wiring or use a "Y" lead.

On the subject of opening up the chassis to take a bigger battery - is this a good idea? Won't it reduce the stiffness/strength of the chassis and run the risk of the chassis breaking in a crash leaving only the bodyshell to connect the front and rear wheels?
Richard Hathaway

Postby Andy Crawford » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:16 pm

So has a decision been made yet.......am I bringing the mini on Sunday? if so what motor class will be run, silver can or sport tuned? :twisted: what about the Lipo cut off, do I need one?
Andy Crawford

Postby Shawn Herrington » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:07 pm

Judging by the feedback I would say Mini's. There's plenty of interest for at least one heat..
My M03 is built but I am waiting for some shocks to arrive (apparently the kit items are vey brittle and break easily).

A Sport Tuned motor and Tamiya Speedo are installed so as you can see I am pushing the rules to the max :D .
However I have no batteries that will fit and have ordered 3200 Lipo's from HongKong, which are unlikely to be here for the weekend.
Reading Professor Hathaways' Thesis on Lipo Cut off's I say run without them and don't run the packs too low.
Shawn Herrington

Postby Andy Crawford » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:42 pm

I was hoping that would be the decision regarding Lipo cut offs........So has it been decided that sport tuned will be the class run?

Looks unlikey that my Lipos will get here from our far eastern brothers in time either :(
Andy Crawford

Postby Shawn Herrington » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:53 pm

No nothing has been decided, but taking the Tamiya Cup and Eastbournes rules into consideration I think we should just mirror theirs.
A. It keeps things simple plus nice'n cheap.
B. New members know exactly what the score is, theoretically be on the pace immediatly and importantly are more likely to come back for more.
C. Makes things easier when it comes to visiting other clubs running the class.
Last edited by Shawn Herrington on Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn Herrington

PreviousNext

Return to Public Chat