Mardave Class

General chat

Re: Mardave Class ?

Postby Shawn Herrington » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:12 pm

sorry for the confusion regarding your motor Michael.
The class is still very much in it's early stages. Tamiya Mini's are very much sorted because we have adopted Eastbournes set of rules, but the Mardaves are a new area for us.
We have invited them to join in to boost the numbers and we are currently trying to find the level playing field.
As their stock setting seems to use silvercan it is best if we stick to them.
Battery size a free area though.

Comparing the two classes at the weekend I would like to think we have got it pretty much right. Not too much of a performance difference to cause any great worries.

We have a committee meeting next week and I hope we can get something down and published in black a white, but if you work along the lines of SilverCan, any battery with Lipos needing to be the hardcased version, NO exposed screws underneath the chassis and a front bumper, you won't be too far away.

HTH

Your website has some good videos on it. The variety of classes you have on there is also good but don't you think the Mardaves at East Peckham are a little chaotic ?
Good but chaotic ... Something we are try to avoid ;)
Shawn Herrington

Car: Tamiya M03
Motor: MuchMore Clubman
Speedo: Mtroniks EECC
Cells: Lipo's!

Postby thumper » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:37 pm

thank you glad like my site and yes the racing is chaotic sometimes but that was fun racing mardaves :D i will agree with bumper since had one on front mine for about couple months never broke anything since.matter of intrest nothing going be said about custom chasis is it we made them to fit our lipos in ? Image
Michael Hare
thumper

Car: xray t1fk05, mardave, cyclone,
Motor: co27, lossi brushless,
Speedo: lossi
Cells: lipo

Postby Simond001 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:59 pm

Hi Thumper,

Issue with allowing non Mardave chassis' in is that it opens the floodgates to 12th based cars.

I'd say stick to the Mardave chassis (you can fit LiPo's in them), the G2 or Tamiya silver motor, front bumper and car bodyshell.

But thats just me, if it is a free for all I'll be the first to use a full suspension 12th chassis with a mini shell!
Part of the WKRCC taking Eastbourne by storm.

Sole supplier of the TCUK / EECC Mtroniks ESC for tamiya Black can and Mardave 540 style motors.

www.pit-bitz.com
Simond001

Car: M05 pro / M03R
Motor: Black can
Speedo: Mtronics EECC.
Cells: 3600 Demons LiPo

Postby johnnyp » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:21 am

hi all
i was using a mardave g2 motor on sunday and i also happen to no steve davis was runnin the tamiya silver can and both his and mine where as quick as they needed to be around there also i had a custom chassis on my mardave to start with but having broken it i changed to the standard one and went quicker! so i think tho the chassis plate is ok to change but the rest of the car must remain as per a mardave would be! So to answer the thing about how even the two classes are look at the lap times between mine steve davis and tim hancock? less than 3 tenths cover them! so i think thats a good startin set of rules! ps i was legal! hehe!
johnnyp

Postby thumper » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:51 am

so john you havent blowen up any of your motors lately :lol: whats the secret? :D
Michael Hare
thumper

Car: xray t1fk05, mardave, cyclone,
Motor: co27, lossi brushless,
Speedo: lossi

Postby jackwabbit » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:19 am

Tim Fry wrote:
jackwabbit wrote:I also had a good time on Sunday & was looking forward to coming back for more! :D
After going through 3 Mardave G2 motors in 2 meetings at Maritime I was also running a 27t stock motor on Sunday because I was lead to believe it was OK, If I’ve got to go out & get more motors just to run at NWK then I don’t think I would bother, I’ll probably stick to Maritime in future.
After all I only race for fun & if having fun is going to cost me a fortune in motors during this current financial climate I may have give up all together. :cry:

Was you running 4 cell or 6/lipo?

I was running a lipo,
The G2 motors seem to be ok on what they were intended for the 4 cell batterys, but as all mine have now well past their sell by date (knackered) I thought I would try it with my LIPO. What I failed to mention before was there were quite a few cars on Sunday a lot faster than mine or Michael's going down the main straight & if they were all running silver cans then what type of silver can were they running? because obviously the 27t stock motors we were using were no advantage. :o
jackwabbit

Car: mardave
Motor: 27t stock
Speedo: lrp

Postby Shawn Herrington » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:02 pm

Completly understand but the same rule must apply to everyone in the class.

If for instance somebody arrives in the future and sees you have a 27t fitted then they assume they can use the same. They then turn out to be a missile any everybody running SilverCan gets the hump.
Last edited by Shawn Herrington on Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn Herrington

Car: Tamiya M03
Motor: MuchMore Clubman
Speedo: Mtroniks EECC
Cells: Lipo's!

Postby johnnyp » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:32 pm

at my first meeting i was still runnin the silver can mardave g2 aswell only differnce was i was harder on gearin then and motor was alot hotter but i didnt want to risk it on sunday and as it was quick enough just didnt even worry also simond's car was very quick down the straights and that was runnin a g2 aswell! think my secret is that im runnin alot less punch and i have a current limiter in my speedo programmes that is designed for modified but as such stops the massive draws gennerated by over exhuberant fingery!
johnnyp

Postby jackwabbit » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:48 pm

johnnyp wrote:at my first meeting i was still runnin the silver can mardave g2 aswell only differnce was i was harder on gearin then and motor was alot hotter but i didnt want to risk it on sunday and as it was quick enough just didnt even worry also simond's car was very quick down the straights and that was runnin a g2 aswell! think my secret is that im runnin alot less punch and i have a current limiter in my speedo programmes that is designed for modified but as such stops the massive draws gennerated by over exhuberant fingery!

That sound like an expensive speed controller Johnny, adjustments to the punch what’s that? My old Mtroniks Eco 27 Speed Controller £19.99 doesn’t have such luxury.
So its all down to my lead thumb on the left hand then!
:lol:
jackwabbit

Car: mardave
Motor: 27t stock
Speedo: lrp

Postby Brian Mills » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:16 pm

There does seem to be some confusion about what's allowed in the Mardave class and what isn't.

The original intention of running the "Mini" class was to have a race class that was cheap and fun and might attract new drivers who could be frightened away by the cost of a 1/10th TC. It is quite true to say that drivers may have een told different things - I certainly made it clear that if you had a Mardave and wanted to race then you ought to come along without having to worry about dotting every "I" and crossing every "T" in a long list of rules. I would however concede that if we are going to run them regularly and in any numbers then we ought to have a few SIMPLE rules that will keep things as cheap (and hopefully as fun) as possible and make sure the playing field is a level as possible. I think Dave Penfold has the right idea when he suggeted:-

1. Only the V12 chassis
2. Only countersunk chassis allowed
3. Silver can only
4. Whatever battery you choose
and 5. Must have a bumper (sorry - forgot that bit on the 1st post)

His and Steve Davis's times show that's all you need! As Shawn has already said it will be discussed next week at the committee meeting but I would certainly not be in favour of custom chassis and 27T motors but others may have a different point of view.

On the subject of software Dale has explained how to allocate the transponder numbers although Darren was there already! Despite that we will be limited by the number of drivers who can race over and above the 10 handouts because they will need a PT. Sadly the booking on the hall means we have to be out by 2pm and things aren't helped by only a small percentage staying behind to help clear up. More help at the end might equal more racing of possibly an extra heat of mini's/Mardaves. At the moment another heat is out of the question but of course things may change.
Last edited by Brian Mills on Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Mills

PreviousNext

Return to Public Chat