wet weather racing

General chat

Re: wet weather racing

Postby Brian Mills » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:33 pm

Dan,
1. We bought a broom of our own last year - I think it's in the big shed.
2. I presume you mean could we pit in the hall if we were racing outside. I don't think we can expect to use the hall itself but I don't see a problem in using the changing rooms etc.
Brian Mills

Postby steve collins » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:50 pm

the court only puddles in a few places of which we can broom off.
last year when we raced on a wet court it took about an hour or so to get a dry line for slicks.
prettycertain we can use inside to pit.
weather looks good for sunday morning so lets all hope for the best.

good racing & tally ho :geek:
steve collins

Car: TRF415
Motor: stock
Speedo: Nosram
Cells: speedzone

Postby Dan Hamblin » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:55 pm

Well that would allow everybody to stay dry without resorting to the use of gazebos!

Thinking along similar lines - is there any possibility of extending the transponder loop so that the laptop can be used from the shed? I suspect the distance may be too great though. In theory the tent should provide a waterproof housing for the laptop, but it may need another application of Nikwax or Fabsil to get it back to the correct condition.

What I am trying to do is think of ways to solve some of the problems associated with running an outdoor meeting in the wet. What I hope to end up with is a set of solutions which cover everything that the club provides, leaving the racer with the job of waterproofing their cars.

Regards,

Dan
If at first you don't succeed - destroy all evidence that you tried! :D
Dan Hamblin

Car: Tamiya M03
Motor: Ansmann 23t
Speedo: Tamiya black thing
Cells: LiPo 3200mAh

Postby Tim Fry » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:45 pm

Dan Hamblin wrote:Well that would allow everybody to stay dry without resorting to the use of gazebos!

Thinking along similar lines - is there any possibility of extending the transponder loop so that the laptop can be used from the shed? I suspect the distance may be too great though. In theory the tent should provide a waterproof housing for the laptop, but it may need another application of Nikwax or Fabsil to get it back to the correct condition.

What I am trying to do is think of ways to solve some of the problems associated with running an outdoor meeting in the wet. What I hope to end up with is a set of solutions which cover everything that the club provides, leaving the racer with the job of waterproofing their cars.

Regards,

Dan

Its called the hall Dan :lol:
Tim has gone to ............... the Darkside!!!
Tim Fry

Car: You'll have to wait and see
Motor: Vantage 10.5
Speedo: Novak GTB
Cells: Lipo

Postby Andy Crawford » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:23 am

Or just staying at home :D
Andy Crawford

Postby James Brooker » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:44 am

I'm with McFry on this one the hall is the best bet. From what i remember the tennis courts look very flat but once wet you see something completely different.

Maybe if we are all that bothered by weather we should look to run carpet meets all year round?
Work to live.....Don't live to work!

xbox gamer tag Bubbly Tubs
PS3 network id Bubbly_Tubs
James Brooker

Car: I've only gone an got a Mini!
Motor: .
Speedo: .
Cells: .

Postby Dan Hamblin » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:30 am

Tim Fry wrote:
Dan Hamblin wrote:Well that would allow everybody to stay dry without resorting to the use of gazebos!

Regards,

Dan

:lol:

Seriously though, have you ever raced in wet weather before?

Regards,

Dan
Dan Hamblin

Postby Andy Crawford » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:45 am

Dan Hamblin wrote:
Tim Fry wrote:

Regards,

Dan

:lol:

Seriously though, have you ever raced in wet weather before?

Regards,

Dan

Yes, myself and my gear got soaked.......where is the fun in that? :cry:
Andy Crawford

Postby Dan Hamblin » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:39 pm

My first meeting where it was wet all the time was way back in September 2002, when we raced in Tunbridge Wells. We pitted out of the back of our cars then and the track was swept between rounds to try and remove the standing water. My Mission was fitted with an under-tray and over-tray, and it kep the electrics dry all day, although some water did find its way in between the under-tray and the chassis plate. The main thing was to have a roll of kitchen paper and to clean the dirt off the bodyshell and trays between each run. Didn't have aproblem with getting wet, my mac and baseball cap kept me dry!

Second wet (ish) meeting was during our first season on the rough tarmac at Hugh Christie Technology College. It was the only time my car had any grip! Unfortunately I missed the final due to a belt snapping, but my rain tyres helped Chris Mears win his first A-Final :D Again, my electrics remained dry throughout and we pitted out of the back of the cars to keep all the gear dry.

I think we were pretty fortunate from then onwards to miss the rain, although last summer we had one meeting where the track was very damp during the first few rounds and then one meeting was cancelled due to the rain. My car was all ready to run in the wet, but obviously others weren't.

It is tremendous fun to race in the wet - a real test of driver skill and not too unlike driving on carpet with a one way (providing you have the rain tyres fitted of course ;) ). In fact it is also a great leveller as some of the drivers that are perhaps low on power but are very skilled drivers are able to finish in much higher positions than normal.

Regards,

Dan
Dan Hamblin

Postby Jez Clarke » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:01 pm

Racing in the wet is great fun, but today's cars are just not suited to it. Some older models with over and undertrays would be ok, but most manufacturers don't offer this option. Trying to completely waterproof a modern touring car is an almost impossible job. Then even if you can succesfully waterproof the electrics, the bearing, diffs etc can't be waterproofed.
National drivers have seperate specially prepared cars just for running in the wet, but most club racers can't afford that.
As a side note, I remember Grant's 'waterproof' speedo blowing spectaculary when running in damp conditions.

If it is wet and we use the hall, can we run on the carpet? This has the following advantages
1. We don't need to carry a set of minipins just on the off chance of needing them, everyone can just use their slicks.
2. Car set up is fairly similar too, so wouldn't need adjusting much (no changing one-way for a diff/spool)
3. Trimming the wheelarches on the shell is not needed.
4. Drivers from other local clubs would be more likley to race.

The club has made the investment in carpet, so it makes sense to get as much use as possible out of it. I know a few drivers who visited over the winter would be more keen to support us in the summer if we didn't race on the sports hall floor.
I guess time may be an issue, but we could always skip practice and go straight into qualy to make sure we finish on time.

sorry for the essay :|
PSN ID: voodoo_jez
Jez Clarke

Car: CRC Gen-X 10
Motor: LRP X11 17.5 SS
Speedo: LRP SPX SS
Cells: Demon Lipo

PreviousNext

Return to Public Chat