Mardave Class

General chat

Re: Mardave Class ?

Postby Shawn Herrington » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:37 pm

Thanks for the videos Michael. I will have a look through them later.

I am really impressed how well the Minis/Mardaves are coming along and come the summer I hope there will be plenty more.

For a little over 100 pound you can be fully kitted out(excluding bling and gadgets), ready to race and as Simon says, only a few laps of the pace..... at worst.
Shawn Herrington

Car: Tamiya M03
Motor: MuchMore Clubman
Speedo: Mtroniks EECC
Cells: Lipo's!

Postby Tim Fry » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:27 pm

I think the mini class has worked out really well. Its a great beginner class and the racing is so close.
Tim has gone to ............... the Darkside!!!
Tim Fry

Car: You'll have to wait and see
Motor: Vantage 10.5
Speedo: Novak GTB
Cells: Lipo

Postby Shawn Herrington » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:35 pm

Simond001 wrote:Great days racing. team tamiya seem to have made their cars wider than standard somehow :?

if anyone knows the difference between the Tamiya 540 Sh and 540 J please advise. I may swap over from the G2 if i can keep it cool and go up a gear.

Just getting the hang of these things. After years of 4wd racing they do take a little getting used to ;)

Motors? 540J was made by Johnson way back when they were issued in the early Tamiya kits. I think the obvious difference is they have 4 slots in their can and apparently according to this thread ( http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/104289-silver-can-motor-tips-tricks.html ) they are the ones to have; but good luck.

The 540sh motor replaced the J motor in the Tamiya kits in from what I can remember, mid 90's and I believe is still the current motor.

Specs of wind etc I don't know but the attached link could help you out there.
Last edited by Shawn Herrington on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn Herrington

Postby Simond001 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:44 pm

Cheers Shawn.

I'll buy a J then and see how it goes. (I assume its legal?)
Part of the WKRCC taking Eastbourne by storm.

Sole supplier of the TCUK / EECC Mtroniks ESC for tamiya Black can and Mardave 540 style motors.

www.pit-bitz.com
Simond001

Car: M05 pro / M03R
Motor: Black can
Speedo: Mtronics EECC.
Cells: 3600 Demons LiPo

Postby Simond001 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:48 pm

Bought.

You gotta love the interwebnet!

Sole supplier of the TCUK / EECC Mtroniks ESC for tamiya Black can and Mardave 540 style motors.

www.pit-bitz.com
Simond001

Postby Shawn Herrington » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:05 pm

Yeah, but not sure what you will get though :?

quoted from RC-Tech.
"If you want a fast Silver Can, the motor you are looking for is an older motor that tamiya used to put in its kits. Its a Johnson motor, but it has 4 slots around the circumference of the can, where as the current lot only have 2. These motors are equivilent to the 23turn Black Sport Tune that Tamiya offers. A few guys use these at the TCS races to one up everyone and turn fast lap times. Tamiya allows it at their races. If you can find one thats the one to get"

Here's another link with some more information: http://www.rcracechat.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10217

Looking on the net I would say the 540j motors you can buy these days are not the same as they appear to only have two slots.

Confusing or what?
I always thought Johnson went under and that's how Mabushi ( SH ) came on the scene. It was a similar situation with Scalextric cars years ago.
Shawn Herrington

Postby Brian Mills » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:10 pm

I know it has been mentioned on another thread, but thought I ought to add here that the reverse grid for the mini/mardaves has been scrapped. It was felt to be unfair on drivers who had qualified well in the heats. The final at round 6 was run in the conventional way with no complaints (none that I heard anyway)!
Brian Mills

Postby Mr Dallas » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:28 am

Hi

used to race a few years back and keep meaning to pop along and have a look as running m chassis cars does make me think about comming back :)

just wondering are you running these to any rules apart from the motor choice ?
Mr Dallas

Re: Mardave Class

Postby Shawn Herrington » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:17 pm

Hi.
Motor choice is capped at the Tamiya black can which to be honest is plenty fast enough.
Speedo and tyres are also limited to the kit Electronic version and 60D treaded tyres. Run whichever batteries and bodyshells you choose and off you go.

Standard M03's with the optional alloy shocks are doing well so everthing stays nice and cheap and as a guide Eastbourne have a very clear set of rules which can be found here:
http://www.eecc.co.uk/downloads/mini_rules_2008.pdf

Incidently and as you probably already know, Mardaves are limited to Silvercan Motors which makes for excellent close quarter racing !

Come along and you won't be disapointed.
...plus it will be another car for team Tamiya against those pescky Mardaves ;) :lol:

See you next week?

p.s
In the meantime heres a video for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opGhCweqsZk&eurl=http://thumpersrc.wetpaint.com/page/wkrcc+vids
Shawn Herrington

Re: Mardave Class

Postby Simond001 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:31 pm

Mr Dallas,

You may wish to consider the Mardave v12.

Still made in England (Southampton), cheap and plentiful parts, and very solid. (Also seem to compete quite well against these fwd japanese hot hatches).

There will be a couple of Mardave shops at Brighton Modelworld next week, and a track on the top floor if you want to have a try before you buy.

http://www.mardaveracing.com/index.htm

www.pit-bitz.com
Simond001

PreviousNext

Return to Public Chat