What gear do I start with??!! 1/10th TC. PLEASE HELP!

General chat

What gear do I start with??!! 1/10th TC. PLEASE HELP!

Postby ben77 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:24 pm

Ok - anyone who fancies taking on my bundles of question is a brave person.. but please help!

A long time ago I used to race 2WD and 4WD buggies off road but haven't raced in a very long time. After moving to the area recently, I'm keen to get back into it and to try my hand at 10th scale touring cars... so here are my questions (bearing in mind I have no gear and need to by everything from scratch and need gear around the entry level mark);

1) What car? Been looking at the Xray T2R Pro and the Schumacher Mi3.5 Race. Is there anything else I should be considering or any definates for under the £200 mark?

2) What speed controller and motor? The brushless thing is all new to me, whats the benefits?

3) What batteries and charger? Is there benefit to having more than one set of cells?

4) What radio gear and servo? I prefer sticks to trigger. Do I need a huge selection of crystals too?

5) What type of tyres should I look at for indoor / outdoor?

6) Are there any other must haves other than a selection of spares and tools and 12v battery?

Perhaps I should have asked at a model shop or come down to a race meeting, but any help I could have first off would be such a huge help!

Thanks very much,
ben
ben77

Re: What gear do I start with??!! 1/10th TC. PLEASE HELP!

Postby Brian Mills » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:19 pm

Hi Ben, not an answer to your questions I know but have you considered racing in the Mini's - cheaper than TC's?
Brian Mills

Postby ben77 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:55 pm

Hi Brian,

I'll look into it but to be honest I've got my heart set on touring cars.. I also wanted to give it a go when I was racing buggies :D

Thanks for the suggestion though.
ben
ben77

Postby Shawn Herrington » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:14 pm

Hello Ben

I have one more rolling chassis and loads of spares for sale. It's a Serpent S400 and you are more than welcome to P.M for more information if you are interested before it goes onto ebay.

Brushless has the benefits of low maintenance and as you are starting from scratch then that is certainly the more advisable way to go. Brushed motors can take some looking after once you get into it. I only have experience of the Novak System and it is very good, but there are other cheaper setup on the market which others will no doubt be ablr to recomend.

Batteries. Lipo's are the in thing these days and you will probably get away with two packs, although with the short turn around we sometimes have in the summer then 3 if you can afford it. Trackpower 4900's / Orion 4800' s are a few of the options here.

2.4ghz Radio Gear is the most user friendly these days. No crystals are required and in simple terms all you do is pair your car with the controller. It makes life easier for both you and the old people in race control

Tyres to look at are pre-mounted Sorex 28's or 32's. Soft or harder compound respectively and it all depends on the surface temperature...

There aren't any must haves that you really need to start with. A decent sized pasting table from Homebase and a chair perhaps? :D
Start off small, buy new kit as you deem necessary and you will soon be lugging a half hundred weight of gear around every weekend Just like me :lol:
Shawn Herrington

Car: Tamiya M03
Motor: MuchMore Clubman
Speedo: Mtroniks EECC
Cells: Lipo's!

Postby terryh » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:29 pm

Hi Shawn

You have mail mate.

Terry
terryh

Car: ARC R10 2013
Motor: Revtech Killshot
Speedo: Hobbywing V3
Cells: Gens Ace

Postby ben77 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:54 am

Hi Shawn,

Thanks very much - thats all really useful info! I'll pass for now on the chassis as I am getting married in May and all of my capital purchases have been put on hold until after the wedding - otherwise I will get shot!

I'm trying to do some research beforehand so I have a bit more of an idea what I am talking about so thanks again... am I on the right lines with the chassis's I have been looking at?? The Xray and the Schumacher?

Cheers mate - have a good one.
ben
ben77

Postby Shawn Herrington » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:43 pm

I can't coment on the X-Ray as I have no experience of them. They are really popular within the clubs as is also the Hot Bodies Cyclone.

Schumacher Mi3.5 is but good car but has alot of small parts including shims. If you know what you are doing with all the possible adjustment then no problem, otherwise steer clear. I did have one and never got to grips with it, hence my move to the Serpent brand.
Shawn Herrington

Car: Tamiya M03
Motor: MuchMore Clubman
Speedo: Mtroniks EECC
Cells: Lipo's!

Postby Tim Fry » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:12 pm

Ben

Xray is a great car well made and good spares availability. To be honest any of the modern tourers will be fine.
I would defo get brushless and Lipo though as it will save you money in the long run. Shawn is right about the tyres, Sorex are the ones to get.

I personally run a Novak GTB brushless setup but lots of people like the LRP. I got it cos I got a good deal on it with a motor at the time. Again you can't really go wrong with any of them.

Tim
Tim has gone to ............... the Darkside!!!
Tim Fry

Car: You'll have to wait and see
Motor: Vantage 10.5
Speedo: Novak GTB
Cells: Lipo

Postby Simon Taylor » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:54 pm

It all depends on your budget to be honest. your better off spending as much as you can once than spend twice as much over a period of time. We all like the bling :lol:
I'm not an Alcoholic. I'm a Drunk, Alcoholics go to meetings
Simon Taylor

Car: Cyclone/Gen X10
Motor: Novak 13.5/ EA 17.5
Speedo: Tekin Rs Pro/ LRP Sphere
Cells: Trakpower 4900

Return to Public Chat