Tamiya Mini's / M03 & M05 Class.

General chat

Re: Tamiya M03 Class

Postby Shawn Herrington » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:58 pm

Rhys Herrington wrote:Andy has done some more video'ing. This time it's from round 9. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPCcXPzYKCo&feature=channel

There's more :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt93us4XZ4w
Shawn Herrington

Car: Tamiya M03
Motor: MuchMore Clubman
Speedo: Mtroniks EECC
Cells: Lipo's!

Postby justaddmud » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:19 pm

video man you are a legend

back to this motor issue, been speaking to steve and dave about this matter, and the speed (although a nice advantage) is not the issue it is the cost and availability

last time i bought a black can it took nearly two weeks as no one had any in stock, been trying to find somewhere in this country that sells the brushles system to compare a price ect as at the moment i can only find them in honk kong

if someone wanted to start racing and wanted to be competitive could end up pouring £200 for just the car and brushless system, not cheap and they could go the black can route, if they can get one

27t stock is available everywhere and are normally only £30 and due to being rebuild able last twice as long, they will run on the standard tamiya kit speedo meaning that a basic setup would cost £130 (car and motor) and if the motor packed up or speedo packed up they could go to any good shop and buy replacements

right got that off my chest, that is how steve davis, dave penfold and my self feel about it, i really want to race mini's out doors as should be a hoot but it needs to be cheap and competitive

rant over, thanks

Ian
justaddmud

Car: Mardave v12 x2 tamiya mini x3
Motor: Silver can, black can 27t stok
Speedo: you name it, i probably haveit
Cells: 7.4 lipo's - 1400 nicad

Postby Brian Mills » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:40 pm

Couldnt have put it better myself!!
Brian Mills

Postby Simond001 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:38 pm

Just bought some soft tyres. £14.99 a pair

credit crunch???
Part of the WKRCC taking Eastbourne by storm.

Sole supplier of the TCUK / EECC Mtroniks ESC for tamiya Black can and Mardave 540 style motors.

www.pit-bitz.com
Simond001

Car: M05 pro / M03R
Motor: Black can
Speedo: Mtronics EECC.
Cells: 3600 Demons LiPo

Postby justaddmud » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:36 pm

OUCH !!!!!

Victor 101s rc shop on ebay (uk supplier lightwater models) £7.49 + £1.50 P+P

hope they last longer outside then they did on carpet, got through a set of softs on the front of my mini in 3 meetings

what are the rules going to be on tyres for outside?
justaddmud

Car: Mardave v12 x2 tamiya mini x3
Motor: Silver can, black can 27t stok
Speedo: you name it, i probably haveit
Cells: 7.4 lipo's - 1400 nicad

Postby Shawn Herrington » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:38 pm

I would say we will use the same treaded tyres.
Mediums front / softs rear worked well on the tennis courts when we were having a little play a few weeks ago. Eastbourne use softs all round and work well on their tarmac surface.
When we get to the summer months I hope the hard kit tyres will be able to be used.
3 meetings is about average for the Touring car Sorex slicks outside before they start to go soft, grain and deform.

The Tamiya Brushless setup got a debut at a secret test track on the south coast recently and was rather impressive. Speed wise there isn't too much diference compared to the black cans, but the lack of motor braking was causing some issues.
I qualified 6th... http://www.eecc.co.uk/results/25-03-2009/Overall_Qualifying_Round_03.htm :shock:

A little more tampering with the drag brake settings though and it could be on the pace.
Last edited by Shawn Herrington on Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn Herrington

Postby Brian Mills » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:41 pm

The decision at the committee meeting was that there would be no control tyre outdoors.
Brian Mills

Postby Shawn Herrington » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:17 pm

Ah. I think we have possibly got some wires crossed and made an error there.
From what I can remember we did decide on no control tyre but I interpreted that as applying to the touring cars.

That was mainly because we are not going to be supported by Schumacher for the Summer season; for which the control tyre was bought in for.

The Minis however are run to a similar set of rules nationwide and one of those is the use of the Tamiya 60d treaded tyre, which is available in 3 different compounds; soft, medium and (very) hard which is supplied in the kits.

Also the Tamiya Eurocup specifies the 60d tyre and honestly they are really quite a good tyre for the chassis.
Last edited by Shawn Herrington on Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn Herrington

Postby Brian Mills » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:35 pm

Thanks for that Shawn - I am indebted to my learned colleague :D
Brian Mills

Postby Simond001 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:24 pm

justaddmud wrote:OUCH !!!!!

Victor 101s rc shop on ebay (uk supplier lightwater models) £7.49 + £1.50 P+P

hope they last longer outside then they did on carpet, got through a set of softs on the front of my mini in 3 meetings

what are the rules going to be on tyres for outside?

Appreciate that advice, i have bought the only two pairs he had for sale. If he gets more on the web we should buy them up asap.

I'm hoping they last ok. £30 for a set of tyres is quite pricey [for a budget class :lol: ]

If we wanted to keep it to a budget, you could always stipulate http://www.ansmannstore.com/radio-contr ... -4pcs.html as a control tyre.

1/4 of the price of Tamiya's! I'm happy to buy a set and see how they handle.
Part of the WKRCC taking Eastbourne by storm.

Sole supplier of the TCUK / EECC Mtroniks ESC for tamiya Black can and Mardave 540 style motors.

www.pit-bitz.com
Simond001

Car: M05 pro / M03R
Motor: Black can
Speedo: Mtronics EECC.
Cells: 3600 Demons LiPo

PreviousNext

Return to Public Chat