Round 2

General chat

Round 2

Postby dis96 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:48 pm

Good result for me today, thanks to Tim for managing to bin it and make it a lucky win ;-)

Difficult track today, too many hairs pins for me, and 9 12ths was a a bit much for the track as lapping was quite hard due to the point a shoot driving style needed, end of the straight was good but the same for everyone.

One thing I found a little harsh considering we only had 4 heats was the 2 mins between races and random gap between rounds causing some late to the marshal point marshals. Could we have had 3 mins between races and/or a timed end of round gap to give us a little time?

The other thing I noticed due to the 2 mins between races, races seem to be starting before cars were on the track or marshals were ready. Now I know there was a schedule but even in the final it seemed like the priority was to start a race with cars in the wrong place just so the marshals could be shown to be not at their post. Perhaps with so few heats a little time could be given to sort the grid, it has been done in the past.

Overall, today just felt a lot rushed and a lot nore regimented that I was used to, and enjoy at west kent.

I'm preparing to be shot down, but just didn't feel the same usual fun at west kent today.
dis96

Re: Round 2

Postby James Brooker » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:29 pm

I know what you mean Darren my final counted down and started and there were cars driving the wrong way to get to the grid. Have to wait and see the video.

Maybe we still need to work on the efficiency and practicality balance, and maybe running that gap out to three minutes may help.

On a plus side though I really enjoyed the layout today, counterclockwise is always controversial. Thanks to everyone who came along, especially the early risers and late stayers, and it was good to see Ian back already. Points should be on tonight a long as me and the PC don't fall out ha ha.

Oh and thanks to Timmy Fry for the use of his Mini would of been a long day otherwise.
Work to live.....Don't live to work!

xbox gamer tag Bubbly Tubs
PS3 network id Bubbly_Tubs
James Brooker

Car: I've only gone an got a Mini!
Motor: .
Speedo: .
Cells: .

Postby rallybloke » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:50 pm

Have to agree with Darren (although it's against my better nature). I didn't seem to have any time at all to work on my car and only managed to get charged in time because I happened to buy a third battery before the meet. Shame,as I really enjoy and look forward to the winter series, hopefully there will be a couple more entries at the next round and we can all be a bit more relaxed.
rallybloke

Car: RC10R5
Motor: 10.5
Speedo: Brushless
Cells: 1s LiPo

Postby James Brooker » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:17 pm

Points are up
Work to live.....Don't live to work!

xbox gamer tag Bubbly Tubs
PS3 network id Bubbly_Tubs
James Brooker

Car: I've only gone an got a Mini!
Motor: .
Speedo: .
Cells: .

Postby Brian Mills » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:55 pm

Yes, take the points made.

Sorry but sadly some of the hassle may have been induced by me.
After the first heat or two, somebody left with a broken car and inadvertantly took a transponder with him. On the chase after him I took a dive and tore the skin off one hand, one knee and one elbow plus hole in jeans and a bruise or two. Nurse Simon patched me up although why he had rubber gloves with him is a cause for concern. On reflection (always easier afterwards) it would have been better to go home and get cleaned up rather than stay at the school with the needle for the rest of the morning. I think some of that needle may have rubbed off on others, so apologies to those concerned for that.

It's odd but at the first round it all ran quite smoothly when we had five heats and no break (rather than 4 rounds with a break today) and the gaps between heats were the same (2 mins).

Must try hared next time..........

Regards
Brian
Brian Mills

Postby crazybrit123 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:08 am

Hi All,
Please find Vids of the 23rd racing below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ih6NmIHanw Mini A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa9VBndXb9c 13.5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOQbDFDp8hA Mini B
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0QQJP2LSAc 12th

As for the racing, I personally would love a bit more time between the heats. I'm running in two classes and it can be a bit of a rush getting the next car out in time.
Now I know that's my choice but that extra minute would be useful.
As for the Finals, well just watch the start of the Mini B and yes the shambolic start should not happen again.
It was a bit pushed in other Heats and Finals too. Remember some racers have to get the transponder from the cars that have just raced, this can take a bit of time.
Anyway, as always, "Enjoy the Drive"
Andy.
crazybrit123

Postby dis96 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:05 am

Now that is dedication to the transponder rack Brian, but had they left with it you were right to realise would have caused race control a lot of extra hassle if other drivers needed that transponder. Hope your injuries are ok.

It is easy to give suggestions after, but a thing to remember with RC Timing, if it is the case on your version of the software is, with a 2 minute gap, the 2 minutes starts from the end of the 5 minute race, so if cars are still taking 25 seconds or so to finish their last laps, there is only 1m35 to the start of the next race.

We have recently swapped to 2mins at eecc to try and finish earlier on a wednesday night and it is working just about OK, but we do have a lot of pt users and 2 sets of transponders, so drivers aren't waiting for others to bring back transponders. It would take quite a bit of extra time, but maybe when the heat numbers are small the transponders could be alternated, 1 to 5 in race 1 and 6 to 10 in race 2, but this would cause great confusion for marshalling points.

This is probably a mostly wasted discussion, as there may well be more drivers at the next meet, and more time between races anyway.
dis96

Postby Mark87 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:17 am

Really enjoyed round 2, and the track layout was certainly challenging for me as a beginner but i enjoyed it!

I want to appologise as I was one of the cars who was in completely the wrong place at the start of the race. I did try and make sure i wasn't in the way as th race started.

On a brighter note the race was very enjoyable and looking forward to round 3 :)

See you all then

Mark
Mark87

Full Name: Mark Drury
Car: M05
Motor: Silver Can!
Speedo: LRP Runner
Cells: Orion 4200

Postby Mark87 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:32 am

I was just looking at the current results and I have no points recorded for round 2?
Mark87

Full Name: Mark Drury
Car: M05
Motor: Silver Can!
Speedo: LRP Runner
Cells: Orion 4200

Postby daveygravy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:07 pm

crazybrit123 wrote:Hi All,
Please find Vids of the 23rd racing below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ih6NmIHanw Mini A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa9VBndXb9c 13.5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOQbDFDp8hA Mini B
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0QQJP2LSAc 12th

As for the racing, I personally would love a bit more time between the heats. I'm running in two classes and it can be a bit of a rush getting the next car out in time.
Now I know that's my choice but that extra minute would be useful.
As for the Finals, well just watch the start of the Mini B and yes the shambolic start should not happen again.
It was a bit pushed in other Heats and Finals too. Remember some racers have to get the transponder from the cars that have just raced, this can take a bit of time.
Anyway, as always, "Enjoy the Drive"
Andy.

Great vids as always Andy, I especially like the subtitling on your squeals of 'Simon! Simon!'

heh heh heh
daveygravy

Full Name: David Mills
Car: 12R5.1
Motor: Reedy
Speedo: Hobbywing
Cells: Nosram

Next

Return to Public Chat