Having some problems

General chat

Having some problems

Postby Greekbullet » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:17 am

Hello guys,

I am running into some problems.... I have found a couple of shells for my car ... however they both come as un prepared .. I need to cut them and paint them.
Initially it did not seem a problem ... however I have messed up the first one ... cutting did not go to plan and the second one I did not touch yet.

Anyone having any idea on what I should do?
I went yesterday and got a pair of curved scissors, main problem is the wheel arches. I just want to be within regulations for the new season with all the body height and wheel arch clearance.

Cheers
Vasilis.
Greekbullet

Full Name: Vasilis Charisopoulos
Car: Kawada
Motor: Hobbywing brushless 9T motor
Speedo: Don't know ... yet
Cells: Lipo race pack 30c+ 4200mAh

Re: Having some problems

Postby Tim Fry » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:49 pm

Hi

Looking at your info I assume this is 12th?

If it is I find the best way to mount a body is first remove the rollover mast. Then cut out the body around the cut lines but leave the wheel arches at this stage.

Now its cut out lay the clear body over the chassis and mark where the body post touch with a permanent marker. Using a decent drill or hole reamer make the holes large enough for your body posts. Next set the body height to be level with the top of the chassis either adjusting the R pins or moving the body rests up or down. Using a compass cutter you can mark out some wheel arch shapes around your wheels leaving around 2mm extra diameter to allow the body to not touch the tyres. Once your arches are marked cut them out with your curved scissors. Last thing to do before you paint the body is mark where the roll over mast will come through the body and make the hole. Paint you body. Job done.

Tim
Tim has gone to ............... the Darkside!!!
Tim Fry

Car: You'll have to wait and see
Motor: Vantage 10.5
Speedo: Novak GTB
Cells: Lipo

Postby Luke Burley » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:46 pm

Hi Vasilis,

Tim's technique is very similar to mine, but with a few differences! If you can mount the body when it's clear that is easier. I tend to mount the arial hole first and most accurate way is as tim says by taking the antenna out and looking through the shell to get an accurate centre. Body posts as per tim. Wheels are easy, mark the centre of the axel with a marker and get a circle cutter. Make sure the top of the circle is st the top of the wheel arch which may be lower tan te axel dot. Front has a line for the and the rear is 30mm down from top of shell o the amr protoform. Then cut wheel and bend to pop arch out. Front I cut at 46mm and rear about 48mm. Hope this helps.

Luke
Luke Burley

Car: Zen
Motor: Dynamite
Speedo: G-Force
Cells: Reedy

Postby dis96 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:24 am

Sounds like bring your shell along on sunday to Tim or Luke for a quick lesson.

Anyone welcome to watch, tim and luke to confirm the time of their bodyshell lecture.... lol

No, really, two answers and two very similar ways to get the job done. Compass cutter from ebay or hobbycraft.
dis96

Postby Luke Burley » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:50 pm

www.pit-bitz.com must sell compass cutters surely!? If you want one mounted let me know as I wouldn't normally bring the cutter to the meeting!

regards,

Luke
Luke Burley

Car: Zen
Motor: Dynamite
Speedo: G-Force
Cells: Reedy

Return to Public Chat