Touring Cars

General chat

Re: Touring Cars

Postby dis96 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:58 am

Whatever you do, stick to the BRCA list, 21.5 for example is a one motor class in my opinion.

As TimH says, 13.5 blinky would be interesting to see, and no additional costs to those ready to go.

But if you are trying to attract new drivers, what classes run locally?

BUT, it is (kinda) the summer, are TC's coming indoors anyway? AND on the subject of diluting the classes, have a think about how many might come back from mini or 12th if the tc class is slower, is there much point if people swap, same numbers.

with you hosting the 12th national, there might be an interest in Superstox GT12 and alike, there are plenty of people who would like a faster mini :)
dis96

Postby crazybrit123 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:47 pm

For what it's worth,
At Capel RC Car Club we have moved forward from running 13.5 Boosted to 13.5 Blinky.
The hall is just to small to run the Boosted speedos now. We could still run 13.5 Boosted but we feel we get the same if not quicker lap times running non boosted. We can drive the car easier.
So on that thought, it would be (in my oppinion) a forward thinking club moving to 17.5 blinky (non boosted).
The Rug Racers series is doing just that.
You could run 13.5 blinky so no one has to buy new equipment agreed, but 17.5 I think is the way forward for racers looking to move from one class to trying something new.
I read that some want a faster mini class, well don't knock it till you've tried it. At West Kent we have been running an F1 and F2 series for the past year and a bit now, to allow just that. F2 using Silver cans and F1 for brushless. If you where to go 17.5 Blinky Touring cars that would be nice next step.
There are still racers with old-ish touring cars that would still like to race but speeds at the moment are to high and feel they would be too slow racing with us at the moment.
It needs someone with big balls to make the decision to move the club to Blinky, be it 13.5, 17.5 or 21.5. But one the club I think should do. There are lots (over the winter) of other clubs running Boosted that they will go to first before thinking of coming to West Kent. It's a shame but true.
On the subject of running GT and Supastox. We did GT and the racers running them moved to 12th so that would be the same people and could dilute the 12th and with the 12th National coming up I don't think is a good move.
So Supastox, didn't know much about them but I thought Sidcup raced them. But I do feel it could dillute the Mini classes.
So a lot said there. Just my view which is what forums are for........aren't they?
crazybrit123

Postby Dan Hamblin » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:59 pm

Does anyone know what is happening on the National level regarding Touring Car classes? Between various South East clubs we've certainly started a trend with the Mini racing, perhaps we can do the same again for resurrecting Touring Cars?

Regards,

Dan
If at first you don't succeed - destroy all evidence that you tried! :D
Dan Hamblin

Car: Tamiya M03
Motor: Ansmann 23t
Speedo: Tamiya black thing
Cells: LiPo 3200mAh

Postby Tim Fry » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:24 pm

BRCA Clubman is 17.5 Blinky so perhaps thats the way to go??
Tim has gone to ............... the Darkside!!!
Tim Fry

Car: You'll have to wait and see
Motor: Vantage 10.5
Speedo: Novak GTB
Cells: Lipo

Postby THancock » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:46 am

Tim Fry wrote:BRCA Clubman is 17.5 Blinky so perhaps thats the way to go??

BRCA Clubman is 13.5 boosted and 17.5 blinky with the majority of entrants doing 13.5 boosted.
THancock

Postby daveygravy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:19 am

THancock wrote:

BRCA Clubman is 13.5 boosted and 17.5 blinky with the majority of entrants doing 13.5 boosted.

and 10.5 blinky although no-one appears to have ever entered it, but is an option...

17.5 blinky seems to me like a sensible lower tier but I don't know what it's actually like in terms of speed.
daveygravy

Full Name: David Mills
Car: 12R5.1
Motor: Reedy
Speedo: Hobbywing
Cells: Nosram

Postby THancock » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:44 am

Dave Mills wrote:
THancock wrote:

and 10.5 blinky although no-one appears to have ever entered it, but is an option...

17.5 blinky seems to me like a sensible lower tier but I don't know what it's actually like in terms of speed.

Having seen them at a few Clubman meetings, the speed is governed by those able to gear to the max, replace rotors and have access to good batteries. The quick cars are a little slower in a straight line than the old 27t brushed and some of the slower cars are about as quick as a brushed mini. And then there's everything inbetween.
THancock

Postby terryh » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:37 pm

Tim

When you say "replace rotors" do you mean a one off change for a high torque rotor, or, replace rotors like in LRP because to much heat kills them? If it's a one off change then that isn't the end of the world, but having to change them every meeting to ensure you have the fastest car would be nuts! In my experience, no matter what we average drivers do, or how much we spend, it's still the best and most consistant drivers who win races.

17.5 would be good I think for West, Kent simply because it's a speed that most average drivers can handle which in turn promotes close racing, and close racing is always fun, even when it's slow :D
terryh

Car: ARC R10 2013
Motor: Revtech Killshot
Speedo: Hobbywing V3
Cells: Gens Ace

Postby Tim Fry » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:33 pm

I would say the best thing is those who race touring car with us to post here what they would like to race and then we can discuss it at our next committee meeting.
Tim has gone to ............... the Darkside!!!
Tim Fry

Car: You'll have to wait and see
Motor: Vantage 10.5
Speedo: Novak GTB
Cells: Lipo

Postby senna3 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:16 pm

All you can do is try it and see 17.5 that is. But dont take away the 13.5 boosted so it is there for people who still want it.
If it brings some drivers back into it that can only be a good thing because it seems to be mainly at West Kent where the
Tourer has dropped off more than other clubs because Maritime seems to get 40 each week and Sidcup when i last went had 18 all still getting good numbers for TC.

So yes it does need somthing slower and you dont need to be buying top end pro kits there is plenty of lower specs Tourers
out there or 2nd hand for a lot less money which are all good for doing 17.5.

Maybe think about running the cars with a diff in the front easy to drive and helps with car wear and tear.

If you keep the Rules tight like the mini it will be good racing.
senna3

Car: TC6.1 WC
Motor: GM 13.5
Speedo: Hobby Wing
Cells: Lipo Nuclear Radioactive

PreviousNext

Return to Public Chat