Touring Cars

General chat

Re: Touring Cars

Postby THancock » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:31 am

terryh wrote:Tim

When you say "replace rotors" do you mean a one off change for a high torque rotor, or, replace rotors like in LRP because to much heat kills them?

I mean to regularly replace rotors because the motors get so hot, the magnet strength fades.
THancock

Postby dazzzza » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:57 am

Club hand out motors not messing about then. At the end of the championship you get to keep it
dazzzza

Car: xray
Motor: hobbywing
Speedo: hobbywing
Cells: IE

Postby dis96 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:43 am

Where have the Touring Drivers gone and why?
Have entry numbers dropped or are they around the same?
Is this the usual summer drop off, where people prefer to race outside and have lots of championships to choose from.

If they have gone to other clubs, why?
If they have given up racing totally, why? Would a different motor being them back if they have to buy one anyway?
If they have simply swapped class to 12th or Mini because they wanted to and they seemed a more fun class, don't see the point in worrying about it numbers are the same.

I think you need to stick to one TC class unless the two are comparable in the same races or unless you have more time for additional heats to split them, with the chance of only 2 people running 13.5 and 2 running 17.5 taking up 2 heats.

There are plenty of winter series out there now, and WK is close to comparable with them, maybe not so well known, or not so large, but the only way to really attract those TC drivers is to run similar rules to the series that clashes the least with your meetings. Thats if you want to attract drivers from those meetings.

If maritime are getting 40 drivers, what class, would try travel over anyway.
Same for sidcup, 18 drivers, what class, woudl they travel.

Personally, I think TC is dropping off everywhere, and the only way for it to continue is for it to consolidate so that there are fewer classes, and every club runs the same, full stop. Anyone can race anywhere then.

Or, focus on what worked last winter (remember summer and winter series are totally different). The minis are the greatest intro class, cheap and has a slow option, bring new drivers in with that. You have a 12th National, there is going to be plenty of drivers interested in that, and it seems to be building and building. 3 or 4 of the EECC drivers have brought them to run through the winter and at the national in particular.

Just my 20p worth, lol
dis96

Postby walden » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:13 am

dis96 wrote:Where have the Touring Drivers gone and why?
Have entry numbers dropped or are they around the same?
Is this the usual summer drop off, where people prefer to race outside and have lots of championships to choose from.

If they have gone to other clubs, why?
If they have given up racing totally, why? Would a different motor being them back if they have to buy one anyway?
If they have simply swapped class to 12th or Mini because they wanted to and they seemed a more fun class, don't see the point in worrying about it numbers are the same.

I think you need to stick to one TC class unless the two are comparable in the same races or unless you have more time for additional heats to split them, with the chance of only 2 people running 13.5 and 2 running 17.5 taking up 2 heats.

There are plenty of winter series out there now, and WK is close to comparable with them, maybe not so well known, or not so large, but the only way to really attract those TC drivers is to run similar rules to the series that clashes the least with your meetings. Thats if you want to attract drivers from those meetings.

If maritime are getting 40 drivers, what class, would try travel over anyway.
Same for sidcup, 18 drivers, what class, woudl they travel.

Personally, I think TC is dropping off everywhere, and the only way for it to continue is for it to consolidate so that there are fewer classes, and every club runs the same, full stop. Anyone can race anywhere then.

Or, focus on what worked last winter (remember summer and winter series are totally different). The minis are the greatest intro class, cheap and has a slow option, bring new drivers in with that. You have a 12th National, there is going to be plenty of drivers interested in that, and it seems to be building and building. 3 or 4 of the EECC drivers have brought them to run through the winter and at the national in particular.

Just my 20p worth, lol

I think personally the numbers have dwindled everywhere due to peeps given up on TC to go offroad instead also the expesense of everyday bills going up like the cost of fuel.

I have been away from the hobby over the last few years due to raising a family, but will be coming back to TC and popping back down to west kent.

On the motor side have an experiment one week 13.5 boosted and another week 13.5 blinky and get feedback from the drivers of there experience and perhaps do the same for 17.5 if possible?

From experience West kent is a great club and to be honest i feel its the best run club especially when the first "Big Meet was arranged best days racing and now holding a 12th scale national - excellent

Keep up the great work
walden

Car: TC5R Exotek Chassis
Motor: 13.5/17.5
Speedo: Orca VC4 Pro
Cells: LIPO

Postby billy_vrxce » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:30 am

Sidcup dont seem to be dropping in numbers when it comes to touring cars. We have 3 heats every week pretty much with 1 supastox heat, 1 mardave heat and 2 mini heats. As dis has said, and this is no dig. But west kent does seem to be the only place struggling with tc numbers. I used to remember when you had to pre book you was that busy!

Mardaves will be hard to pin down a certain set of rules if you bought them back in. 1 reason being sidcup dont run to brca rules. They run 2 cell 20t brushed. I myself am trying to bring 1c 13.5 in as its slightly slower but easier to drive and in the long run, cheaper. Becauese 2c lipos are more expensive than 1c and you also dont need to keep replacing burnt out motors.

Also supastox can run with mardaves. Thats what the rules state. So why not bring 2 classes together. Im sure with the natiomal you will be holding and the fact there are a lot of people running these cars now. You could bring the numbers back up.
Just my thought! Hopefully i can get down with my gt12 spec mardave and you can see how it goes and see if people could be interested in runnimg them!
billy_vrxce

Full Name: billy fletcher
Car: mi4 cxl mardave vrx ce
Motor: saturn-ballistic
Speedo: fusion-tekin
Cells: thunderpower

Postby chris_dono » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:34 pm

My plan for last Sunday didn't come to fruition, but it was to run 17.5 blinky, partly to get a little bit of practise in for the clubmans round that I'm competing at next weekend, but also to see what it would be like in terms of speed, heat etc vs 13.5 boosted at club level.

There's a big problem with tc at the moment, in that there's no starting point, so its quite hard for newcomers to get into. Boosted 13.5 (arguably the most popular class nationally) is simply too fast for a beginner. Either that, or they run it and get blown off the track by the others who are used to running it and have their motor and speedo set up correctly or worse still, fry a motor ! Not a good introduction to the hobby I'm sure you'll agree.

I ran 17.5 at Sidcup tonight against a mix of 13.5 and 10.5 cars (all boosted). I qualified 3rd overall behind Matt Reuben and Simon Hibberd who are both quite good drivers. The heat of the motor was high, but not overly so (around 60 degrees) and the lap times were within a couple of tenths from the Tq guys.

This meant that over a heat it was just under 2 laps slower than the two top 13.5 boosted cars.
The drivers have their cars and speedos set up well for that track and others, making a finals at most of the local clubs (Wkrcc,Sidcup, maritime) on a regular basis.

I feel that it the right speed for someone new to the sport to run at, being somewhere close to the old 27t brushed speed.
The car doesn't get out of shape when you hit the throttle and more importantly, you have the time to place the car on the track.

Having said that, wear on parts and tyres was minimal and car setup isn't as critical as it would be for a boosted class.
Obviously if you were competing on a more serious level (clubmans series etc) then those this become more important, but for a club racer of average ability, I feel it's a good starting point, and that's what I think we need to get back to

Apologies for any typos, its late and I'm typing this on a tablet.

See you soon :-)
chris_dono

Car: Serpent - CRV
Motor: Any
Speedo: Hobbywing
Cells: Lipo, Lipo and Lipo

Previous

Return to Public Chat