What car (& why!) - Newbie

General chat

What car (& why!) - Newbie

Postby Dan Jermyn » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:19 pm

Hi all,

I came along to last Sunday's meeting for a nose around (thank you Brian & Jim for your hospitality) and i'm thinking of taking the plunge. So i wondered what to get and why!

I'm not looking to get into a "get Car A coz i've got one" type of discussion but more along the lines of which one can i look to grow with as i learn to both drive and set-up the car and which one am i most likely to get the best support from (both manufacturer & inside the club - setups etc). I'm not against buying something that i can grow into rather than grow out of so would look towards a higher spec car from the outset but realise that the limitation is always going to be my driving!! Oh and would most likely buy new rather than 2nd hand so i could build it up etc.

Can anyone tell me which cars are the most popular in the club and why?

All any any help is more than welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Dan
Seek forgiveness, not permission...
Dan Jermyn

Car: Yokomo Bede-bede

Re: What car (& why!) - Newbie

Postby Andy Crawford » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:12 pm

I think a big factor has to be your budget to be honest.....once that is decided, it will almost make the decision for you ;)
Andy Crawford

Postby Shawn Herrington » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:14 pm

Hello Dan.
From experience you can't really go wrong with any of the Schumacher models. Ideally not the Mi3 because that is a little too fiddly for a newbie, but the Mi2 and more recent Mi2ec are superb.

Spares are cheap, easily obtainable from both the local hobby shops and the net plus also the factory website has more support via their forum than you could poke a stick at.

Also many of us have owned one in the past so advice on race day is only a question away.
Shawn Herrington

Car: Tamiya M03
Motor: MuchMore Clubman
Speedo: Mtroniks EECC
Cells: Lipo's!

Postby Dan Jermyn » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:45 pm

Thanks Guys! Please keep it all coming....

Andy, Hmmm, Budget, is that a monetary figure to aim for ? LOL! My RC experience to date means that i've 'usually' spent around double (ish!) of my intended outlay! I only bash at the moment but already posess a specky DX3 & lipo charger, etc, etc ;)

Shawn, I must admit to having already trawled through the old forum, the eecc one and also racechat and had been looking at the Schumacher cars but also the TC3/4/5, T2, TF-5 & Cyclone (Phew!). But still have an open mind.

What made you two 'choose' the Cyclone & Serpent respectively?
Seek forgiveness, not permission...
Dan Jermyn

Car: Yokomo Bede-bede

Postby Shawn Herrington » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:04 pm

Why did I get the Serpent ? There is only one answer to that and it is... because I had an Mi3 :roll:

Up to that point all of my cars had been Schumachers and had loved every one of them.
The Serpent came along by chance really due to the fact my mate came along with his on one of my bad days so I guess you could say it was an impulse purchase perhaps but other than a few teething problems I have never looked back.

Spares can be a bit of a pain to find but thats only because it's still reasonably new and the first 1/10th tourer they have produced
Schumacher though are British, many of the spares are interchangeable across the range and everyone stocks spares for them, plus the chassis as a whole is as hard a nails.
Shawn Herrington

Postby daveygravy » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:07 pm

I can recommend the Cyclone, there's quite a few of us racing them now as they are quick but also pretty sturdy too. I chose the Cyclone as I had its predecessor the Pro 4.
daveygravy

Full Name: David Mills
Car: 12R5.1
Motor: Reedy
Speedo: Hobbywing
Cells: Nosram

Postby Simon Taylor » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:13 am

I'd say cyclone too ran mine all carpet season and only broke it twice so pretty robust and it's very nice to drive when you get the set up right. I've had a schumacher and an xray and the cyclones my favourite. It's a tough choice depends really if you like purple, silver or blue :lol:
I'm not an Alcoholic. I'm a Drunk, Alcoholics go to meetings
Simon Taylor

Car: Cyclone/Gen X10
Motor: Novak 13.5/ EA 17.5
Speedo: Tekin Rs Pro/ LRP Sphere
Cells: Trakpower 4900

Postby Shawn Herrington » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:29 am

Also the Cyclone is a newer design...

There is also the Yokomo BD to consider as well and I expect there could be one for sale soon.

( Nudge Nudge Timmy )
Last edited by Shawn Herrington on Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn Herrington

Postby Andy Crawford » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:49 am

Dan, know what you mean about budgets, they kinda go out the window regarding this hobby! like Dave, I previously ran a Pro 4 so already had many of the spares that are used on the Cyclone, I have had my cyclone for well over a year now and rarely break it (once during the winter season) and still pleased with it, it is capable of going much quicker than I am! It was also "the car to have" when I got it. It's a tough decision to make really, if I were starting out again I am not sure which I would go for really....probably cyclone or xray T2 008 if money was not an issue.
Last edited by Andy Crawford on Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Crawford

Postby Jez Clarke » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:48 am

I can vouch for the Yokomo BD being pretty bullet proof. I managed all 10 of the winter rounds (+ the practice round) without any breakages at all. They can be had pretty cheap online too at the moment.

To be honest all the top cars are good and all have pro's and con's, just comes down to personal preference at the end of the day. Cyclone, Serpent, BD, Mi2, Xray T2/008 and Corally RDX are all being used at the club, so get one of these and there will be plenty of people to turn to if you need advice. :)
PSN ID: voodoo_jez
Jez Clarke

Car: CRC Gen-X 10
Motor: LRP X11 17.5 SS
Speedo: LRP SPX SS
Cells: Demon Lipo

Next

Return to Public Chat