New Member Enquiry..

General chat

New Member Enquiry..

Postby stucartwright » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:55 pm

Hi Folks,
I have had the pleasure of speaking with Ian Skilling about coming down to race the GT12 class.. I raced 1/10th Off Road buggies back in the mid nineties and have been sucked back into the RC Car world, after flying planes never really grabbed me! I have lots of questions; but with the desire to get racing as soon as possible.. I was wondering if anyone could give me an insight into their setups on GT12 cars; most notably the pinion/spur gear ratio (I appreciate this changes from track to track).. I have a Schumacher Superstox. Its all built and Im gradually wading through all the millions of views and opinions of what to buy (electrics and motors, Esc's) goodness, its a huge world out there.. I will of course come down and see you all in action on the 22nd, I was potentially thinking I could be all setup by then, but this may be a touch of a big ask.. . Anyhow, any advice in advance of my trip down would be most welcomed.
Best Wishes
Stuart
stucartwright

Full Name: Stuart Cartwright
Car: GT12 - Schumacher
Motor: Dynamite Platinum
Speedo: Toro 1s ESC
Cells: Team Orion 4200 1S

Re: New Member Enquiry..

Postby Tim Fry » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:40 pm

Hi Stuart

To be honest your best bet is to get yourself down and then talk to the guys who run them. Its hard to advise on setups as what works for one doesn't for another.

There are quite a few people who run GT12 so there will be plenty of advise on hand.

Come down Sunday and we can point you in the right direction

Tim
Tim has gone to ............... the Darkside!!!
Tim Fry

Car: You'll have to wait and see
Motor: Vantage 10.5
Speedo: Novak GTB
Cells: Lipo

Postby stucartwright » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:57 pm

Hi Tim

Many thanks for the reply, look forward to meeting you on Sunday.

Best Wishes

Stuart
stucartwright

Postby Brian Mills » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:56 pm

Hi Stuart,

As Tim said, come down and talk to the guys who run them - you will be made welcome and I'm sure there will be plenty of advice on offer.
Last meeting we had enough for two heats, so as a class they seem to be taking off more and more.

Look forward to seeing you on the 22nd.

Regards
Brian
Brian Mills

Postby dlr » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:14 pm

Hi Stuart,

If the electrics work for now then leave them until you can do most races without any incidents else the small benefits new ones will bring won't be worth it. I run old second hand motor and battery etc for that reason, improving slowly!

With regards to gearing, it is all about "roll out" which how many mm the car (wheel) travel for one revolution. This doesn't just depend on the gearing but also the tyre size which will change with age as they wear down. There are a couple of free Apps which do it for you if you have a suitable phone, android one here and no doubt an iphone one somewhere https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=bugblndr.rcratio.free&hl=en_GB the rough figure to aim for is about 70 and then you adjust from there ie a faster more open track might need slightly higher, tight twisty one lower ie effectively lowering the gearing

Hardest thing for me has been learing how to use tyre additive on foam tyres, best ones are spidergrip blue or sxt 3, there are normally a couple of guys at WK who sell it on the day

Everyone is friendly there. There is still at least one person using the older Supastox, Simon and then Tony has just moved to a new one but will be able to advise on setup etc. Any of the GT12 or 1/2th runners should be able to help with the rollout, you need a set of verniers to measure the rear tyre size accurately.

I will be there on Sunday, bright yellow Supastox GT

Darren
dlr

Full Name: Darren Russell
Car: Mini M05
Motor: HPI Saturn
Speedo: Pass!
Cells: Lipo 2C

Postby stucartwright » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:37 pm

Brian and Darren

Your help and advice has been huge, and for a newbie, I cant tel you how welcoming that makes me feel.. Very much appreciated.
At the moment, I must confess, I may have gone a little overboard with spending.. At this time I have invested in;
Turnigy Trackstar Motor
Code FHSS 2.4 Tranny
Toro 1s Esc
Team Orion Batteries
RS16 Charger and Power Source

The GT12.org website owners have been really useful with recommendations and they did give me various options at a more cost effective, but I couldn't resist so here goes nothing!! If you all see a big fireball at the end of the straight and a grown man crying, you know who it is....

I guessed I would be "in it" for a while, so why buy twice when getting the right kit first would be more cost effective in the long run. I think my driving will come back to me pretty quick, I have flown planes and the orientation side of things come pretty easy (fingers crossed)...

One question I have; do you have to have the windows on the body shell clear? Or have I imagined this...

I will be down on Sunday for sure, can't wait! Any further thoughts are very much welcomed.

Best Wishes
Stuart C
stucartwright

Postby dlr » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:42 pm

Hi,

Nice shopping list ;)

Make sure the Toro is in "blinky" mode ie no timing, so set boost and turbo (if it has it) to 0. Max charging limit is 10 amps but I would do less than that, 1C ie if your packs are 6000mah then do them at 6A, the batteries need to be in a lipo sack at all times when charging (or if discharging)

The GT12 Circuits cars group on facebook is probably the biggest resource out there.

Side windows need to be clear for BRCA Sanctioned events ie nationals or clubman series etc. At club events it is down to the organisers and whilst I can't talk for them, I seriously doubt anyone would complain as long as at least the front and rear windows are clear. Likewise I am pretty sure the Trackstar motor isn't on the homologated list as historically Turnigy haven't bothered although they have just got one of their battery packs approved so this may change in future. I think the motor is quite common at some clubs though as it is quite cheap and isn't quicker than others so I expect you will be fine running it but again, if you wanted to do a BRCA event you would have to change it, I presume it is 13.5 at least? Not sure what static timing would be best on it, you will have to google or look through that Facebook group as there are definitely some on there who use it

cheers

Darren
dlr

Full Name: Darren Russell
Car: Mini M05
Motor: HPI Saturn
Speedo: Pass!
Cells: Lipo 2C

Postby stucartwright » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:42 am

Darren

Many thanks for the reply...

The windows being blacked out is an issue; I did unfortunately do this, but that cash be resolved very easily...
Regarding the motor, it was only a cheap thing and the first item I got after the chassis kit (Superstox) so I will do some research and get myself a motor that is on the BRCA List.

I did download an app for my phone, regards the gearing which is really useful. Thank you once again.

Now, this charging procedure... I am a little confused on all the charging, discharging, charge rates etc... I need to understand all this, so rather than just understanding what I need, is there somewhere that can give me all the details so I can get a handle on how the 'whole' charging system works? Would be really useful to have, if you know a website.

Look forward to meeting you tomorrow...

Best Wishes
Stuart
stucartwright

Postby stucartwright » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:47 pm

Hi Darren

Great to meet you today.. And many thanks for all the help and advice both yourself and Jay gave me. There was one other chap opposite you who gave me some advice, but I forgot his name. Many thanks to him too!!

Have ordered all the parts and add ons you recommended, so I should be ready to go by the next meet! Will definitely try and get down to the other two clubs you mentioned, for a practice. A quick five minutes before race time may be 55mins to little before going into battle!!

Hope you had a great 3rd race and did well in the finals.

Best Wishes

Stuart
stucartwright

Return to Public Chat