What car (& why!) - Newbie

General chat

Re: What car (& why!) - Newbie

Postby Dan Hamblin » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:38 am

The Schumacher cars are pretty robust, although as Shawn pointed out the Mi3 is a backwards step in my opinion from a reliability and robustness viewpoint. The only major problems I had with my Mi2 during the winter was the plastic driveshafts snapping when using the one-way and the stub axles breaking on the new alloy driveshafts (but they were very heavy crashes).

In a way it is a shame that Schumcaher discontinued the Mission as that car was ideal for a new racer - it was fast, robust and didn't have so many tuning options that you were tearing your hair out trying to find which was the best set-up change to make.

Regards,

Dan
If at first you don't succeed - destroy all evidence that you tried! :D
Dan Hamblin

Car: Tamiya M03
Motor: Ansmann 23t
Speedo: Tamiya black thing
Cells: LiPo 3200mAh

Postby Tim Fry » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:58 pm

Have to agree with Jez any car would be fine. If you are a complete novise then the Mi2s are pretty robust.
Tim has gone to ............... the Darkside!!!
Tim Fry

Car: You'll have to wait and see
Motor: Vantage 10.5
Speedo: Novak GTB
Cells: Lipo

Postby chris_dono » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:41 am

I've got a TC3 for sale if you're interested, it's advertised in the for sale section of the site, or contact me. I can bring it with me next time I'm coming down.
chris_dono

Car: Serpent - CRV
Motor: Any
Speedo: Hobbywing
Cells: Lipo, Lipo and Lipo

Postby Dan Jermyn » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:52 pm

Will be along this Sunday (hangover permitting) to have another 'nose' around - so please be patient as i wander around asking stupid questions and generally wanting to have a good look at everyones cars!!

Had a bit of a rethink (having had a chat with Ian @ EM this morning) as he was guiding me more towards something that's bullet-proof & reliable rather than the latest carbon/ally cars and i can see the logic behind that. If i'm going to crash I'd much rather finish a race than not at all!

He suggested the TT01 or TA05 and i can also see the HB Cyclone S, Kyosho TF5 and Associated TC4 follow along the same lines. To be honest i'm leaning more towards the TA05 and Cyclone S at present. Especially as i could buy these new for the same money (if not less) as a 2nd hand higher spec car (which i doubt i'd be able to do justice to!!).

As before any comments/thought are appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

P.s Chris - Thanks, if you're there Sunday i'd certainly like to have a look?
Seek forgiveness, not permission...
Dan Jermyn

Car: Yokomo Bede-bede

Postby Steven F » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:56 pm

Honestly i would give the Cyclone S a miss, theres a couple of lads at the Sidcup Club who break the car quite easily, seems to use a different material to the normal cyclone, which seems brittle, just my 2cents.

Forgot the TT01, dont bother, you'll be upgrading to something better in a matter of months.

TA05 seems a ok, havent had one myself, but what ive heard there pretty sturdy, and go well, without needing too much done to it. Though maybe i'm biased seeing as i drive a 416 :)

Schumacher are great,brilliant support etc, ran there cars for many years, and as Dan says the original mission was an awsome car for a beginner to intermidiate ability, shame its discontiniued.

If i was you, i'd go for an Xray, the T2R is great for the money, check it out. Hope this helps
Steven F

Car: Tamiya 416
Motor: Speed Passion
Speedo: LRP Sphere TC
Cells: EP4200

Postby Dan Hamblin » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:31 pm

I would also edge towards the TA05, although getting hold of spare parts may be an issue. Five years ago the manufacturers used to do simpler versions of their top chassis', but they don't seem to do that now.

Regards,

Dan
If at first you don't succeed - destroy all evidence that you tried! :D
Dan Hamblin

Motor: Ansmann 23t
Speedo: Tamiya black thing
Cells: LiPo 3200mAh

Postby Nightrider » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:42 am

I started on a TT-01 - quite fiddly to build imho and you can't adjust any of the suspension settings. On the positive side, Its shaft driven rather than belt so you don't get belt problems but all the good racers go belt drivem (I think). In the end, I spent a fair bit upgrading it (Carson gear upgrade, new motor, new ESC etc). Also found that quite a lot of the screws came loose. I still have it somewhere (I think). Now running Mission 1. Easy to repair and very strong - spares everywhere, thanks to James!

Given time over again, wouldn't start with a TT. Would buy a Mission 1 or 2 from someone in the club. The car actually makes very little difference to start with - its the driving skill, or lack of it!
If a things worth doing, its worth getting someone else to do it
Nightrider

Postby Dan Jermyn » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:27 am

Thanks to everyone this morning for putting up with me have a good nose around!

I hope you didn't get too wet (soaked!!) clearing everything away?

And I think i have (finally) made a decision... :)

Cheers

Dan

(Now to go and enjoy the BTCC coverage)
Seek forgiveness, not permission...
Dan Jermyn

Car: Yokomo Bede-bede

Postby Tim Fry » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:07 pm

Everyone was dry except me :(

I suppose it gave us a flavour of gearing again lets hope it's dry next time. I want to try my 10.5 so heres hoping.
Tim has gone to ............... the Darkside!!!
Tim Fry

Car: You'll have to wait and see
Motor: Vantage 10.5
Speedo: Novak GTB
Cells: Lipo

Postby Shawn Herrington » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:07 pm

Spanner Monkey wrote:And I think i have (finally) made a decision... :)

Cheers

Dan

So come on then Dan, spill the beans. What's the big decision? :D

I have some old set up gauges when you are ready to take the plunge. Only looking for a few pennies for them if it will help you out.

Shawn ( No.3 - Wolfe Close ;) )
Shawn Herrington

Motor: MuchMore Clubman
Speedo: Mtroniks EECC
Cells: Lipo's!

PreviousNext

Return to Public Chat