Extra Class for the Winter Series

General chat

Re: Extra Class for the Winter Series

Postby Andy Crawford » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:57 pm

Yep would agree Shawn, I just wanted to know if we would be running silver can OR sport tuned motors as obviously there is quite a difference in performance between them and all drivers should have the same to keep a level playing field......
Andy Crawford

Postby James Brooker » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:36 pm

I think on the subject of the lipo cut off, maybe the committee need to get together on Sunday and have a chat.

As far as i'm concerned if its in the rules then you have too have it. You can't start relying on racers to remember which pack they've put in or even if they've charged it. I mean they cant even remember to put the lipos in a sack or the 12V's in a container! With no big Jim around this year the rules are gonna get breached even more :evil:
Work to live.....Don't live to work!

xbox gamer tag Bubbly Tubs
PS3 network id Bubbly_Tubs
James Brooker

Car: I've only gone an got a Mini!
Motor: .
Speedo: .
Cells: .

Postby danracer » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:23 pm

Call me dumb, but forgive me as I've been out of racing for a while. By 'minis' do you mean 1/18 scale, or minis as in Tamiya's M-03 mini (1/10 scale). Thanks, and sorry in advance for the ignorance! :)
danracer

Car: Tamiya TB-01
Motor: 27 turn stock
Speedo: Novak
Cells: Sanyo

Postby Simon Taylor » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:40 pm

Dan they mean the tamiya m03 ones. My lipos should be here any day but i've only got a silver can motor :( But i got my tamiya speedo courtesy of jim bubbly spares :lol: Looking forward to it :D
I'm not an Alcoholic. I'm a Drunk, Alcoholics go to meetings
Simon Taylor

Car: Cyclone/Gen X10
Motor: Novak 13.5/ EA 17.5
Speedo: Tekin Rs Pro/ LRP Sphere
Cells: Trakpower 4900

Postby Shawn Herrington » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:35 am

Does anyone know if Lipo cut offs can be easily fitted to the Tamiya ESC's?

Richard has said they need to be wired into the switch, but does that mean it's as simple as cutting into the wire and attaching there?

Also the Tamiya rules do say that the ESC's can't be tampered with in any way, except for the shortening of wires. How do they cope with this issue or do they not allow Lipo's?

The other option is to just use nimah stick packs but after having two packs explode on me recently I would rather not go there again.
Shawn Herrington

Car: Tamiya M03
Motor: MuchMore Clubman
Speedo: Mtroniks EECC
Cells: Lipo's!

Postby James Brooker » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:12 am

Not wanting to ruin a new class before it starts by making the people that already race them elsewhereg buy bits they wouldn't usually need , maybe the easiest thing would be to remove that rule then there's no arguments. :?
Work to live.....Don't live to work!

xbox gamer tag Bubbly Tubs
PS3 network id Bubbly_Tubs
James Brooker

Car: I've only gone an got a Mini!
Motor: .
Speedo: .
Cells: .

Postby Shawn Herrington » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:21 am

It's going to be a catch 22 decision.
My take on it is have the rule in for the Touring Cars because they have the biggest drain on the batteries and remove it from the Mini's.

I'm not sure how long one of the M03's will go for before the minimum voltage is reached. I think I've seen 15 minutes mentioned somewhere?
Shawn Herrington

Postby Brian Mills » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:53 am

I think as this is a "dip your toe in the water" weekend we ought to be as flexible as we can which will also make it as broadly appealing as possible.
Brian Mills

Postby Andy Crawford » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:46 pm

Have got a Lipo cut out on its way now.

Regarding the 'not tampering with the ESC' rule, does that mean we are not allowed to change the nasty Tamiya plug for deans connectors or similar??? bit of a nuisance as my ESC already has Deans on it and I wanted to put them on my batteries (which arrived today - woop woop!)
Andy Crawford

Postby Shawn Herrington » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:12 pm

The only things you can do to the speedo are shorten the wires and change the plugs to something more suitable.
I saw you on the Tamiya forum Andy and was about to say ModelTech do a smaller (and cheaper) cut off. I have got one here somewhere, but can I find it? ... :roll:

I think it will need to be a thing of personal preference because as James has said we don't need to be having loads of varying rules. The Eastbourne lads won't want to be doing too much to their cars as many of them will be entering the Tamiya Cup when it visits next year.

Also I found an Australian RC forum earlier and they were discussing the same problem. The end result is they have been running 40+ cars with no cut offs for the last few months now with no issues.
http://www.rcracer.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?p=69896&sid=73fe33a4f9afff7700b7d4dfbe7539e3
Shawn Herrington

PreviousNext

Return to Public Chat